Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Waiting 10 days for a Psych bed?

  1. #1
    Super Moderator cougarnurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Posts
    12,336

    Waiting 10 days for a Psych bed?

    http://news.yahoo.com/mom-daughter-w...154453973.html

    PORTLAND, Maine (AP) A 19-year-old New Hampshire woman experiencing a mental health crisis spent 10 days in the common area of an emergency room in Maine because no beds were available in treatment facilities, the woman's mother said Friday.

    Maureen Cahill of Northwood, New Hampshire, said she desperately searched for treatment options across five states while Chyann Cahill-Hassett remained in a special wing of the emergency room at St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston. Her daughter was moved to the hospital's psychiatric floor Thursday after WMTW-TV reported on the family's plight, Cahill said.

    Chyann Cahill-Hassett ended up in the St. Mary's emergency room after having a mental breakdown and lashing out at a treatment provider in a residential program, then running away and getting lost in the woods, her mother said.

    Police used a K-9 unit to locate her, then brought her to the hospital.

    The extended emergency room stay was harmful to her cognitively disabled daughter, exposing her to things she shouldn't have seen, including a drunken man whose pants kept falling down who called her "sweetheart" and tried to sit on her lap, Maureen Cahill told The Associated Press on Friday.

    "We had so many gains with this wonderful young woman. What we have lost in those 10 days is substantial," Cahill said from her New Hampshire home.

    St. Mary's Hospital, which declined to say if Cahill's daughter was a patient, has a special behavioral wing in its emergency room, but it isn't designed for long-term stays. While awaiting placement in an inpatient treatment program, Chyann Cahill-Hassett slept while curled up on a chair or a sofa in a common area because no beds were available, her mother said.

    Maine has more than 500 beds for inpatient mental health services but many are empty at any given time because of staffing shortages. Contributing to wait lists for hospital beds are backlogs for long-term treatment for patients in their communities, leaving patients stuck in hospitals, said Jeff Austin of the Maine Hospital Association.

    At St. Mary's, the behavioral emergency room was designed with a 12-hour stay in mind but there are times when patients have stayed for up to 14 days and once up to four weeks because of delays getting patients into appropriate programs, said Paul Rouleau, director for behavioral operations for St. Mary's Health System.

    The biggest obstacles to swifter long-term treatment are a lack of inpatient psychiatric beds in Maine, along with the displacement of regular patients at the state psychiatric hospital in Augusta by those coming from the state prison system, Rouleau said.

    Other factors also come into play. Infection contributed to several beds being offline Thursday, when only 19 of 24 inpatient psychiatric beds were available at St. Mary's, he added.

    Cahill said she moved her daughter to Maine to place her in a residential program because similar services weren't available in New Hampshire, which has been working to improve its mental health infrastructure since settling a lawsuit with the federal government in 2013 over inadequate services.

    The residential program in which her daughter was enrolled is willing to accept her back after she's stabilized, but it's unclear how long that will take, Cahill said.

    "She's in a safe place. She will be getting evaluated. It's a process to see what the next step is. It's just unfortunate that you have to fight these battles," she said.

  2. #2

    Waiting for a bed in the Psych Unit

    Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/mom-daughter-w...154453973.html

    PORTLAND, Maine (AP) A 19-year-old New Hampshire woman experiencing a mental health crisis spent 10 days in the common area of an emergency room in Maine because no beds were available in treatment facilities, the woman's mother said Friday.

    Maureen Cahill of Northwood, New Hampshire, said she desperately searched for treatment options across five states while Chyann Cahill-Hassett remained in a special wing of the emergency room at St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston. Her daughter was moved to the hospital's psychiatric floor Thursday after WMTW-TV reported on the family's plight, Cahill said.

    Chyann Cahill-Hassett ended up in the St. Mary's emergency room after having a mental breakdown and lashing out at a treatment provider in a residential program, then running away and getting lost in the woods, her mother said.

    Police used a K-9 unit to locate her, then brought her to the hospital.

    The extended emergency room stay was harmful to her cognitively disabled daughter, exposing her to things she shouldn't have seen, including a drunken man whose pants kept falling down who called her "sweetheart" and tried to sit on her lap, Maureen Cahill told The Associated Press on Friday.

    "We had so many gains with this wonderful young woman. What we have lost in those 10 days is substantial," Cahill said from her New Hampshire home.

    St. Mary's Hospital, which declined to say if Cahill's daughter was a patient, has a special behavioral wing in its emergency room, but it isn't designed for long-term stays. While awaiting placement in an inpatient treatment program, Chyann Cahill-Hassett slept while curled up on a chair or a sofa in a common area because no beds were available, her mother said.

    Maine has more than 500 beds for inpatient mental health services but many are empty at any given time because of staffing shortages. Contributing to wait lists for hospital beds are backlogs for long-term treatment for patients in their communities, leaving patients stuck in hospitals, said Jeff Austin of the Maine Hospital Association.

    At St. Mary's, the behavioral emergency room was designed with a 12-hour stay in mind but there are times when patients have stayed for up to 14 days and once up to four weeks because of delays getting patients into appropriate programs, said Paul Rouleau, director for behavioral operations for St. Mary's Health System.

    The biggest obstacles to swifter long-term treatment are a lack of inpatient psychiatric beds in Maine, along with the displacement of regular patients at the state psychiatric hospital in Augusta by those coming from the state prison system, Rouleau said.

    Other factors also come into play. Infection contributed to several beds being offline Thursday, when only 19 of 24 inpatient psychiatric beds were available at St. Mary's, he added.

    Cahill said she moved her daughter to Maine to place her in a residential program because similar services weren't available in New Hampshire, which has been working to improve its mental health infrastructure since settling a lawsuit with the federal government in 2013 over inadequate services.

    The residential program in which her daughter was enrolled is willing to accept her back after she's stabilized, but it's unclear how long that will take, Cahill said.

    "She's in a safe place. She will be getting evaluated. It's a process to see what the next step is. It's just unfortunate that you have to fight these battles," she said.
    I live in Virginia and there was a senator who's son needed to be admitted into the psych unit, but he also had to wait for a bed to be open for 10 days as well. Finally, the bed was there and that prompted the senator to make some changes to the policies in the psych units of Virginia. After that has happened, Virginia has grown in admissions to the psych units and more and more beds are now available. I would ask your senator or congressman in your area or ask your local hospital as well. I wish you the best and I hope that you do get your bed soon.

  3. #3

    Waiting for a bed in the Psych Unit

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneconnell View Post
    I live in Virginia and there was a senator who's son needed to be admitted into the psych unit, but he also had to wait for a bed to be open for 10 days as well. Finally, the bed was there and that prompted the senator to make some changes to the policies in the psych units of Virginia. After that has happened, Virginia has grown in admissions to the psych units and more and more beds are now available. I would ask your senator or congressman in your area or ask your local hospital as well. I wish you the best and I hope that you do get your bed soon.
    Sometimes, it is hard to wait on a bed when you need it the most. I remember when I had to be admitted in the psych ward and they called to see if there was a bed available for me. There was one available for me, but in the adolescent young adult side. So, I went over there and it helped me a lot. Then, they told me that there was a bed available in the adult psych ward since I was an adult of 25 years. I was so worried about it because I got adjusted to the teenagers and the other young adults, but when I saw and stayed there in the adult psych ward, I was calm and not worried anymore. So, whenever there is a bed available, it is wise to take it and be thankful.

  4. #4

    Waiting for a bed in the Psych Unit

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneconnell View Post
    Sometimes, it is hard to wait on a bed when you need it the most. I remember when I had to be admitted in the psych ward and they called to see if there was a bed available for me. There was one available for me, but in the adolescent young adult side. So, I went over there and it helped me a lot. Then, they told me that there was a bed available in the adult psych ward since I was an adult of 25 years. I was so worried about it because I got adjusted to the teenagers and the other young adults, but when I saw and stayed there in the adult psych ward, I was calm and not worried anymore. So, whenever there is a bed available, it is wise to take it and be thankful.
    Waiting for a bed in a psych unit can be hard and lengthy due to circumstances. I had the pleasure of being in two different types of psych wards. One psych ward that I was in was for adolescents and adults combines. I was there for about 33 days. Then, one of the nurses told me that I had to be moved to the adult psych ward because they had an adolescent coming in and I was an adult (25 years old) and would fit well and was healthier to move to the adult psych ward. So, I moved in there. At first, I was scared, but my room mate was so nice to me and the nurses were too. So, the bed that I had as a surprise in a different unit was very good.

Similar Threads

  1. Some psych patients wait days in ER's
    By cougarnurse in forum Nursing News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM
  2. Some psych patients wait days in ER's
    By cougarnurse in forum Psych Nursing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM
  3. Psych - Psych nurse needed in Ohio - 12 Hour Days
    By Aaron C. in forum Nursing Jobs [Archive]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
  4. Psych - The City That Has Everything: New York - 11.5 Hour Days
    By Aaron C. in forum Nursing Jobs [Archive]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 08:30 AM
  5. what to do while waiting to get in RN program
    By terri77 in forum LPN vs. RN vs. BSN
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •