Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: truth on medicinal marijuana

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    790

    truth on medicinal marijuana

    source: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/he...html?hpt=he_c1

    (CNN) -- Over the last year, I have been working on a new documentary called "Weed." The title "Weed" may sound cavalier, but the content is not.
    I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.
    Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled "Why I would Vote No on Pot."
    Well, I am here to apologize.
    I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.
    Instead, I lumped them with the high-visibility malingerers, just looking to get high. I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."

    full story and video here> http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/he...html?hpt=he_c1

    any other views?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator cougarnurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Posts
    12,336
    A bit off subject, but did you know many popular 'medicines' in the 1800's and early 1900's had a high amount of alcohol? Yep.

  3. #3
    Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,273
    You mean the "Snake Oil"?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    790
    oh.. im so sorry about the topic. will focus more on nurses next time

  5. #5
    Super Moderator cougarnurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Posts
    12,336
    You are FINE, Amy! We love this sorta stuff!

    Keep doing what you do, as it gives us (and others) something to think and talk about.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    You are FINE, Amy! We love this sorta stuff!

    Keep doing what you do, as it gives us (and others) something to think and talk about.
    thanks!cougarnurse

  7. #7
    Super Moderator cougarnurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Posts
    12,336
    Devil's Advocate, at your service......if/when needed.


  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseamyg View Post
    source: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/he...html?hpt=he_c1

    (CNN) -- Over the last year, I have been working on a new documentary called "Weed." The title "Weed" may sound cavalier, but the content is not.
    I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.
    Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled "Why I would Vote No on Pot."
    Well, I am here to apologize.
    I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.
    Instead, I lumped them with the high-visibility malingerers, just looking to get high. I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."

    full story and video here> http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/he...html?hpt=he_c1

    any other views?
    I appreciate your professional and scientific contribution to the ongoing discussion of this volatile subject. As medical professionals, we are all asked to look for credible evidence and your post shows that you are doing just that. Small studies that follow standardized research guidelines and survive the scrutiny of large research collaboratives do eventually appear on the radar.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator cougarnurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Posts
    12,336
    I know I have given Marinol to a patient for appetite stimulation. I say the stuff may have benefits, and may as well see if it works.

    Honestly...Biofeedback, accupressure...alternative therapies.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    I know I have given Marinol to a patient for appetite stimulation. I say the stuff may have benefits, and may as well see if it works.

    Honestly...Biofeedback, accupressure...alternative therapies.
    I think Complementary Alternative Medicine has its place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Legalize Marijuana
    By Last Nurse Standing in forum General Nursing Discussion
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
  2. Truth about nursing
    By StudentNurse2013 in forum Student Nurses Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
  3. Medical marijuana
    By cougarnurse in forum Nursing News
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 02:46 AM
  4. Do you tell the truth?
    By Jadranko in forum Critical Care Nursing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
  5. Isn't this the truth?
    By CCHADWI in forum Nursing Inspirations, Jokes, and Quotes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •