Thread: Nurse, Are you a DNR

Nurse, Are you a DNR

Now as nurses, we see everything, get involved with everything. But if you were to make a choice, do you want to be D.N.R., or maybe D.N.I. When you consider what we do during a code to people. Even if we revive them and they wake up, their chest hurts from compressions, even if there are no broken ribs, or even a flail chest. You have at least one tube in your throat. Sometimes a chest tube. A foley. Central lines. And those cooling lines for hypothermia to chill you out. And God knows what else. That is a heck of a way to wake up. That is if wake up. lets not forget possible brain damage.
    With all that I really do not think I want to come back to life, for myself anyway. I would just as soon go to that big Golf course in the sky. So what are your thoughts on this.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Having just lost my mother d/t an MI secondary to CHF.....what do you think? Given my age right now, I would like to think that something 'can be done'. Example: Patrick Kennedy didn't have a chance with Hyaline membrane disease. That is now treatable.

However, one never knows what the heck diagnosis is going to get dumped on their head.

Also no Dialysis for me either

Last time I was in the hospital having "elective surgery" I told my wife and mom, "If they turn me into a vegetable, Don't Water Me!"

We're both nurses and talk to families often about when enough may be enough.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Let's Connect! http://www.nursefriendly.com/social/