Thread: Hi new and need desperate advice

Unhappy Hi new and need desperate advice

Hi I am a pre-nursing student starting my Bachelor of Nursing in Feb 08 here in New Zealand.
    The reason I am messaging you is for some advice, and if you cant help me then I hope you will know someone that can.
    My father-in-law had a stroke just 4 days ago. He has right side paralysis, is trying to talk but isnt very responsive. He is in Mumbai India and I can not be with him but my partner is with him. I need to know what questions to ask the doctor and what my partner can be doing to help, eg talking to him, touching him etc. We are afraid he isnt getting the correct care but dont know what to look for or what to ask. He had an MRI just today and the doctor said swelling is there .. bleeding has stopped ... and there is blockage in the arteries... they may need to operate but will observe him for a week. They are suggesting they may do an tracheostomy if he is there longer than 10 days, he is still on ventilator but I am not sure how sedated he is. He can raise his arm when asked but keeps his eyes closed and remains pretty much non responsive most of th time. Please help in any advice or anything. My partner is freaking out and although I have done a lot of reading online I still would like some one on one advice.
    Thanks.
    Putali

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi new and need desperate advice

Hello- I'm sorry to hear about your loved one, but we cannot give medical advice on this board. You might try discussing your loved one's care with a local physician who you are comfortable with.