Thread: passed over

Unhappy passed over

I need advice please.
    I have worked at my present job for over 2 years, I have been acting supervisor when one took vacation and was told that I did a great job. Now we have a new supervisor that is very power hungry and does alot of micro managing. I have recently been given the job as charge nurse. I was told that I needed to step up to the plate and work more, so I work 4,5 and at times 6 days a week. We had a supervisor quite and they took one of the other nurses, made her supervisor and she will only give them 3 days a week and no more. I feel like I have been used. I have given 100 +% and this is what I get in return. I have in the past gone to the COO about this my supervisor only to be told that she is new here and give her time. So I am assuming that there won't be anything done when I go to the COO,
    Now my question is how do I approach this and what do I say without it sounding like a baby wanting attention.

lv2go2

Re: passed over

So, where are you working today?

Two questions I would ask about your being "passed over" are these --
    1. Were you the most QUALIFIED person for the job? If not, that's something to work on. Learn more about supervision (it's not just a title) and see if you can display some LEADERSHIP in the position you now occupy. Leadership does not require title, but it usually pays off in the end.

2. Have you talked to anyone in Human Resources? Your COO may or may not be a thoughtful, skillful manager him/herself. Someone in HR will know if the "oversight" was lawful or not. If your facility did not do a thorough job of weighing all candidates (please tell me that you did actually APPLY for the job, and were not expecting them to hand it to you!!??!!) then you may have an opportunity to settle your concerns by pointing out to the management that your rights have been violated.

Don't be discouraged. You may have learned an important set of life lessons here. And, you may want to take your talents elsewhere!

--p