Thread: travel company illegally holding check....HELP

travel company illegally holding check....HELP

A nurse friend told a travel company that she would accpet an assignment then she changed her mind. The travel company is holding her check stating that she owes them $XXX for not taking the contract. She never signed a contract!! The travel company is based in PA, the RN is working in CA. Any idea who she should contact regarding some needed assistance with this issue?

Re: travel company illegally holding check....HELP

contract board and need to contact labor board. you are guaranteed at least min. wage

Wild Guess, is this Med-Staff, based in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. They have a reputaion of pulling stunts like this. Not much you can do and they know it. You have to file in person in small claims court in Pennsylvania.

There is little you can do other than go to small claims court. I know this because Voyage RN did the same thing to my husband, only it was a different issue, and we are currently in the process of taking them to court. However on the good side, without a written contract they don't have a leg to stand on, so you can sue for the amount they owe you and to cover court fees. Oh and don't admit anything!! Good Luck!!

I was able to collect owed wages by complaining to the labor board. I don't know if she can do this long distance from CA to PA, but it is worth an inquiry.

Oops, just noted this thread is several years old. Hope everything resolved.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Sometimes bumping up an old thread does provide options/comments for present day situations.

Cool Re: travel company illegally holding check....HELP

cat

Thanks for the observation. At another nursing site, bringing back an old thread will get one jumped upon by the mods. I've often wanted to suggest that they automatically close all threads at a certain point, but want to avoid even heavier interaction there. Nice to see that those on this site are more reasonable.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Cali, I know exactly what site you are talking about. Did you also notice how often they say to do a search, and THEN nail your cap to the outhouse door? How anal can one get, eh?

My experience:
    Break a contract and not only get last week of pay withheld, but last deposited check is sucked out of bank account a week after it posts. Direct deposit is not always the best way to go. I could fight for what is mine but the contract is so vague, not like most travel contracts. The company is Invictus Med Solutions in Dallas.