Thread: ethical dilemma: pt confidentiality

ethical dilemma: pt confidentiality

Clara has spent the past year working in various hospitals for several nursing pools. She knows that a recently admitted patient Marc has tested HIV positive at another hospital.When Clara spoke with Marc, he denied having tested HIV positive and refuses to be tested again.

The manager encourages staff to protect themselves, but Clara has only seen a few staff members wear gloves when cleaning Marc after he's been bowel incontinent.

Should she inform coworkers that Marc has tested HIV positive at another hospital?

Anonymous

Re: ethical dilemma: pt confidentiality

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..She should remind co-workers to use Universal Precautions. And if they don't it is her duty to report them for violating standard hospital policies.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

ethically she can't tell anyone....that's why we are to treat everyone as if they have something...that's what universal precautions are for...do you think he is the first pt who has done this? Of course not!Universal precautions are to protect US!

Anonymous

I believe that's what I said.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ..What part of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is difficult to understand....She can and should report someone for not using Universal Precautions.. That person is potentially (sp) infecting others,,, nurses, patients, and families.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

She asked in her last sentence should "she" tell other staff he has HIV , I said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When comparing moral/ethcial vs. legal rationals; the lines can be blurred or distinct depending on one's perception of the situation. Rules and guidelines (policies) are set in place to guide us in making the right decision when faced with a delimma. To divulge anything about someone without consent is tandmount to gossip. While Universal Precautions are in place for a reason, I have seen many nurses, doctors, and others ignore them. If I am working with someone who is not following UP's then I am set up at risk to pick up the virus/bacteria left behind. It is incumbent on every healthcare worker to speak up but not putting the patient at the center of the situation. Behavior is the core issue here and not someone's condition.