Thread: how to select a nursing school?

how to select a nursing school?

dear forum member:

I am considering change my career to nursing field. Please give me some advises on how to find out and determine if a nursing school offer a good program (things like instructors, alumni network, have good relationship with local hospital so students can practice what they have learned etc)

I can think of talk to school nursing counselor, talk to friends who have graduated from that school before.

I appreciate if you can share your experience and give me some recommendations

P.S. I live in state of California. There two schools close to me that offer nursing program(s) Deanza college (2 year program-ASN)
    San Jose State University (offer BSN program)

jeff
    4-2-06

Re: how to select a nursing school?

pretty much all schools in the Bay Area are good from what I understand, what matters is what you want and what your GPA is. De Anza requires a higher GPA (3.0 in science courses), San Mateo College is a little lower GPA requirement (2.5 in science) and San Jose State is also 2.5. do you plan to continue your education? a BSN might be a better choice, although you can continue with either degree. is cost a huge factor? then a community college (De Anza or SMC) is your best bet. price not a factor? go over to Samuel Merritt College in Oakland, it's a private college, so chances are a little better for getting in. do you have great grades and want to hurry up and get done? try for San Jose State's accelerated program (last year lowest entry GPA was 3.8, but don't know what that person's TEAS or science course GPA was). really it depends on your specific needs. I am applying for SJSU accelerated program in Feb. I am hoping to get in and get done and start working. it also depends on what you have done as far as pre-req's. different schools require different courses! go to each school's info meeting and you can make a better decisions that's right for you