Thread: Help! Unjust actions for stating my opinion!

Help! Unjust actions for stating my opinion!

My saga began when I was caring for a patient with a high level spinal cord injury. Her attending was a physician that only recently began caring for spinal cord patients. Almost all of his patients had been routine, elective hip and knee replacements. He did a decent job caring for that segment of the patient population, which is pretty simple and routine. However, he tried to apply the same practices to his spinal cord patients - brief, fast-paced bedside visits, blunt statements of the apparent facts and insensitivity to their needs.

He walked into my patient's room and proclaimed, "You are never going to walk again." In addition, when the patient stated that her injury was an incomplete, he argued with her that it was complete. He even gave nursing an order to be firm with her and correct her if she stated otherwise.

I was bothered by this physicians's behavior towards this patient and other SCI patient's that he has cared for. I made a comment about this to the nurse that cared for my patients during the day, who happened to be a good friend of mine. She too seemed to agree. The patient's father was also outraged by this physician's behavior, so he decided to change doctors.

The day shift nurse thought that maybe I had encouraged the switch, knowing how I felt about the doctor's actions. So, being the brown-noser that she is, she decided to tell this physician her assumption and the comments I had made to her about his performance. My nurse manager caught wind of this, only after the doctor went to upper administration first, and quickly disproved this by talking with the patient, family and myself. This physician was still irate, going as far as to call the president of the hospital at home, scream at him, and demand that they suspend or fire me for slander.

This physician is also verbally abusive to nurses and other staff members. I have seen nurses shake when they had to call him and cry when he began to yell. He especially abuses new nurses or one's with a foreign accent. He has been written up NUMEROUS times. But, he has a majority of the patients, and donates a lot of money to the hospital. Therefor, no action is ever taken against him.

However, I received a 30 day suspension without pay. Administration's statement to me was that, "Even though I stated my opinion to another nurse, that potentially could change her attitude, and in turn affect her behavior." The policy they cited me on was, "Any conduct that is detrimental to patient care, fellow employees, or company operations is a major offence."

I have been a well-liked, loyal employee for four years. Never once had I received administrative action against me, not even a simple complaint! To add to the B.S., Human Resources composed my suspension letter as if it was from my nurse manager and presented it to him. He was kept out of the handling of this, therefor he refused to sign it. In his heart he supported me, but couldn't stand up for me for fear of what would happen to him.

I welcome your comments and suggestions. Yes, I did contact an attorney. He agreed that it was entirely inappropriate. However, Florida is an "employment at will" state, and they can do whatever they want to. So, I had no legal claim against the hospital. I do have a case against the doctor for "tortuous interfence of my employment" - using devious, indirect tactics. But the type of jerk he is, he would probably countersue me for slander. Even though he wouldn't have a case, it would still cost me money to defend myself.

Re: Help! Unjust actions for stating my opinion!

I could feel the heat of indignation rise as I read through your experience. Isn't it sad when money and power take precedent over basic human rights, dignity, and respect for the nursing professionals who carry their hearts and souls in their hands, and the patients who seek our care? What is your hospital administration thinking? Obviously their priorities are way out of line. Evidently admin has managed to find a hospital policy to condemn your behavior, but where is the hospital policy that states that this sorry excuse for a doctor was out of line? I feel your frustration, being stuck between a rock and a hard place. It takes a lot of courage to speak up for yourself, and if nothing else comes of this, be proud that you did and that in your heart of hearts, you know you were right.

Re: Help! Unjust actions for stating my opinion!

Thanks so much for your reply. I have received overwhelming support from my coworkers, which helps. The patient was very upset when she heard what happened to me. Her father even went to the CEO and demanded that they allow me to return to work. This incident has had a huge impact on the moral of the nurses. Administration also instructed me that I was to refrain from any type of discussion about this incident with the staff. I was told I would "be stirring the pot," and would be cause for termination. Little do they know the pot is boiling over. It is disheartening to know that the company I loved and believed in could so easily deliver this harsh sentence. And you are right... it's all about $$$$.