Thread: hello

hello

Hello all, I posted this in the intro section but thought this might be a relevant section as well since I'm a male and wanted wide variety of iputs. I apologize if the question is a common one as I don't really have the time to sift through the search results.

First I guess I'll introduce a little about myself.
    I will be turning 27 soon and live in Maryland. I have a degree in engineering but not sure if that's what I want to do with the rest of my life. I think what attracted me to the nursing career is ability to help/treat others and the job stability.

If I do pursue this career, I would like to become obtain an advanced nursing degree, either in Nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or CRNA eventually. But I see there are a lot of different paths one can take to reach that. Can someone please tell me what are some viable options?

Thank you,
    GK5482

Cool Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by GK5482 View Post
    Hello all, I posted this in the intro section but thought this might be a relevant section as well since I'm a male and wanted wide variety of iputs. I apologize if the question is a common one as I don't really have the time to sift through the search results.

First I guess I'll introduce a little about myself.
    I will be turning 27 soon and live in Maryland. I have a degree in engineering but not sure if that's what I want to do with the rest of my life. I think what attracted me to the nursing career is ability to help/treat others and the job stability.

If I do pursue this career, I would like to become obtain an advanced nursing degree, either in Nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or CRNA eventually. But I see there are a lot of different paths one can take to reach that. Can someone please tell me what are some viable options?

Thank you,
    GK5482
    Hello back at ya & welcome.

First, PA is not in the nursing career path such as the other positions you mentioned; NP & CRNA. I often look back on my career path I wished I'd chosen the PA profession. Nonetheless, I'm proud to be a male nurse. Nursing can be a very personally rewarding career with definite job security.

If, you want to eventually become an Nurse Anesthetist I suggest you do a search [make time ] for the various CRNA programs in your area and look at there requirements/prereqs. Most all require at least 12 months FT ICU experience prior.

The Army Medical Department has excellent school opportunities, including tuition assistance, for both PA & CRNA. BTW, I'm not a recruiter.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: hello

thanks for the reply soldier nurse

Now why do you wish you had chosen the PA path? Is it because of the stereotype of male nurses? Honestly, I'm a little bothered by it.. but money is money and your profession doesn't define who you are right?

Also, doesn't some PA program require you to have nurse experience? So couldn't you pursue a PA career?

Ricu

Hi GK,

Welcome to the forum and to the field of healthcare, specifically nursing.

As you have pointed out, this is a strong career option which offers especially now, stability. There are many options in which to work so while searching, I recommend that you look into shadowing nurses on the job. This gives you the opportunity to see the work first hand and to ask questions.

Others have already advised that you take time to research education pathways too because as you already know, they are numerous. This isn't your first foray into career education so concentrate on what you are willing or able to do as far as attending nursing school and be discriminating. Take into account tuition, credit transfer, travel distance, waiting list and so on. Many in your position agonize over whether to do the building block method of becoming an RN; CNA to LVN to ASN to BSN or go directly to a BSN program but given what you've already told us about yourself, I recommend choosing the latter. Plan to stop here to obtain the required work experience but then look for a NP program.

You mentioned the stigma or stereotype, ascribed to male nurses and said that it bothers you a little. I think all of us have had to come to terms with this especially if we've been in the field for a long time but be assured that the stigma is fading quickly. Interestingly, the thing I'm finding lately is that any hangups around the male nurse are usually with the guy himself. While doing your exploration, figure out how comfortable you are in your male skin. If your sexual identity or image is solid, you're golden. If your'e not so secure, don't worry because many guys have some degree of anxiety around this and eventually resolve things.

Keep us posted and, good luck,

R

Quote Originally Posted by GK5482 View Post
    ...Also, doesn't some PA program require you to have nurse experience? So couldn't you pursue a PA career?
    Again, PA & RN are unrelated.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Welcom to the forum GK5482,

I read your intro and had to say that I too came to this profession with an engineering background; (specificly "NAVAL" engineering / for Uncle Sam), I too have entertained loftier goals for the future. The only real advise I can give at this point is to do some HOMEWORK on the fields you believe intrest you at this time, :nurse-soapbox:but do not limit yourself with a set-in-stone plan of action. Keep an open mind while going through school and alow yourself to "EXPERIENCE" all the areas you can inside the profession of Nursing, I know someone who set themself on a course and stuck to it even though he was being drawn in another direction during school. After a couple years extra school and a year at his target job guess where he works today? YEP. He works in the department he fell in love with during clinical rotations back in LPN school. He sais he dosn't mind the extra education he's got (though he never uses it) he only wishes he had followed his heart back in school.

Not trying to discourage you at all just a little thing to ponder is all.

good luck, what ever road you choose.

Charlie.:nurse-beer:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.