Thread: Nursing Question

Nursing Question

I am single and will be 40 in August. I have a Masters in Social Work and have worked as a counselor and supervisor in the mental health field since 1989. I'm ready for a change and feel burned out by my current profession. In college, I was initially pre-med and even though I switched to psychology, I never lost my interest in the medical field. I began taking prerequisite courses for nursing a year and a half ago and hope to get into a BSN program in 2006 or 2007. My biggest fear, however, is financial--returning to school full-time and not having a full-time, benefitted job to support myself. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage paying for two years of school and two years of living expenses without coming out of it with tons of debt, not to mention the unsettling feeling of not having the stability of employment. I also realize if I really want this to work, I'll find a way to make it work. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has suggestions/ideas about how to go about this. Thanks for any information! Mary

Re: Nursing Question

I don't know anything about your life situation but, I am married and have a child and I went to school full time and worked full time too. I just didn't have any trouble managing because it was something that I really wanted. I am not saying that it was easy, but I do feel that it was well worth it. I am 40 now and I have been a RN for 3 years. I have my Associates Degree and I am currently working on my BSN I still attend school full time. I do have to admit that if it was not for student loans I would have never of made it. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! I'm single with no children, but do have to support myself. I've heard from many people that it's really tough to work more than part-time while attending nursing school full-time so kudos to you for doing it and also taking care of a family! What kind of work did you do full-time? I have an 8-5 job right now so imagine that wouldn't be possible to continue while in school. I have wondered about whether I should get a CNA to work hospital shifts during school...or I suppose I could see if there is on-call social service work available. Sounds like you are happy with your decision to be a nurse, and that's great to hear, too!

It has been challenging for me to work part time and go to school, just because of having to study and all, but it can be done. You could consider doing phlebotomy (which is what I do) while going to school. The hours are pretty flexible, and the hospital I work for is good about working with my schedule.

I worked full time as a CNA while going to LPN school. I did home health so that meant that I worked every weekend. I worked as a LPN in a long term care facility while I went to RN school. Again, I worked 12 hour shifts every weekend. Now I work as a RN in an Emergency Room. I work 12 hours shifts at night. I am currently finishing up with my BSN. Good luck in what you decide.