Thread: Prospective traveler seeks advice

Prospective traveler seeks advice

Hi everyone. I'm a fairly new RN, i've been working in a cardiac intensive care / post open heart unit since my graduation in 2004. I'm happy with my job but my lease is up on my apartment in october and I have been looking into travel nursing. I want to see the country, shake things up a bit, and work at different types of hospitals. I just have a few questions. I know the companies say one year of experience is minimum, does the same apply for critical care areas? Do you think I'll have any trouble getting jobs with about 15 months critical care experience? I am very excited about travel nursing but am a little scared and want to make sure my experience is adequate. And also, if I know I want to start travel nursing in october, how early should I start applying to companies? And also, for those who have travelled to far away cities, did you drive or fly there? and if you fly, how do you deal with not having a car? Will I have to file state tax returns for each individual states I travel in? And any other advice from experienced travelers would be great!! Thanks so much!

Re: Prospective traveler seeks advice

Contact Richard at NURSExtra...1-877-505-6200

Hi!

My name is Stacie and I work with COMFORCE Travel Nurses. I would be happy to help you and asnwer all your questions!

You usually need at least 1 year of experience but some hospitals require more or less (its a case by case situation). You shouldn't have any trouble finding a position! If you are traveling far from home you can fly or drive-whatever is more comfortable to you. We can make the arrangments for you or reimburse you for the cost of relocation. We also provide private, free, and fully furnished apartments or you can take a stipend (utilities are included). COMFORCE pays weekly with direct deposit and have overtime after 8! We also have Rental cars available if you decide to fly!

If you are looking to travel in OCTOBER then beg. or middle summer is a good time to really start looking and getting your application out there.

Do you know where you want to go-that usually helps when deciding how early you shold start looking. If you have any more questions and would like to see what COMFORCE has to offer, please give me a call or shoot me an email!

Talk to you soon!

Stacie Koltai
    COMFORCE
    (800) 660-9544 x 145
    skoltai@comforce.com

I'm in nearly the exact same position as the original traveler. I currently work at a top 3 heart/lung transplant hospital in the cardiothoracic surgical stepdown unit. I've been working since September '04 and I really think that I want to do travel nursing next.

My big issues are:

I currently drive only a motorcycle, so, I'd either need to work the South/Southwest or rent a car.

I'd really like to have health-care covered vacation time, if that's at all possible.

I have very little furniture of my own right now and am not really interested in buying any.

I'd like as complete an orientation as possible in order to avoid paperwork and documentation SNAFUs as completely as possible.

I have a license in a 'Nursing Compact' state. When should I start looking for a travel agency?

Thanks in advance.