Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina hospitals

South Carolina hospitals

Hi, I am considering travel positions in South Carolina and wondering if any one could give me anyinformation(good/bad) on the hospitals in Columbia or Orangeburg. Thank you very much

Re: South Carolina hospitals

I work @ Palmetto Health Richland in Columbia. It is a busy level 1 trauma center/ teaching hospital. Many of the travel nurses I have met have decided to stay. What is your specialty area? DO you have any specific questions? I have been at the facility for a total of 10 years in different areas-and would be glad to give you an insiders perspective...

Hi and thank you for your reply. I am looking at a med/surg or ortho position at Richland or at Providence. Could you tell me at Richland do they do computerized charting, nurse/pt ratio on those units i mentioned, uniform color, travel friendly, and is this a hard hospital to get to re traffic and roads. Is Richland considered to be on the NE side of Columbia, I dont really want to be way out on the west side as I will be commuting back and forth alot to Sumter. Any and all informatioin would be greatly appreciated.
    PS what unit are you on at Richland
    Thanks again

Hey,
    I replied to your email, but wanted to respond here. Richland is in computer charting with EPI center--power chart is used in the inpatient part. I believe I responded to all of your other questions in the other email. I believe Providence is on computer charting as well. Providence is known for cardiac care--that is their focus.
    A few of the physicians I have worked with in orthopedics have been unhappy with the nursing on the ortho unit (but that is from a physician perspective). DO not know anything about neuro or other med-surg units there. One nurse I work with has worked prn at providence as a rotator ( a year or so ago). She did not prefer the non cardiac units at Providnece.

The population served by providence is a little less 'rough around the edges' when compared with Richland. SO that is a plus. Wish I could help more.
    Let me know what you decide. I am curious as to what you decide--and how it works out.

Hey Nurse_go_go I didnt get your email but got your post on here. thank you so much for the information. I am still deciding on what to do??? Will keep you posted. Have you traveled? or gonna travel? Again thanks for your time and the inside scoop!!

Smile Re: South Carolina hospitals

I'm currently on assignment in Denver, but I moved here from Columbia. I worked in the Surg-Trauma ICU at Richland and the ER at Baptist. I loved both places. I wasn't working as a traveler at the time, but I did not notice any hostility between reg staff and travelers. Both hospitals are part of the same health system. They use Cerner/Epicenter for computer charting. There are different versions of Cerner for each department (i.e. Surginet, Firstnet, Powerchart) Palmetto Health is a great place to work, especially critical care.
    :rolleyes: "Real nurses are too busy saving your butt to kiss it!"

Robyn--I'm am starting traveling this summer (currently work in the ER at Palmetto Richland). How are your travel assignments--how do the hospitals you have visited compare to Palmetto Health (esp. staffing, teamwork, friendliness)? Pam

Hey Leern,

Did you choose an assignment in the Columbia area? If so, how's it going?

pam

No, not yet. I have been submitted to Palmetto Richland for m/s/tele but havnt heard from them yet. Then just the other day I was submitted to Plametto Baptist for the m/s/neuro floor. I sure hope I hear something from one of those this week!!! I could be submitted to Rock Hill or to Aiken but want to be closer to Sumter where my son and his family are. Will keep you posted.

Thank you Robin for the great information. It was very helpful. There was some misunderstanding between my recruiter and myself. I thought she submitted me to Palmetto Rhichland for m/s/tele or m/s/neuro. Talked to her the other day and she only submitted for the tele position and neuro position is at Palmetto Baptist. So she sent an application there now. So will have to wait and see what happens as I sure hope I get an interview this week. Again thank you for taking the time and sending me all that info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast