Thread: telemetry

telemetry

Hi everybody! What are the job specifications for a telemetry nurse? Do you know if there are state statute and regulations concerning telemetry nurses? I'm about to graduate and would like to work that field. Ty.

Re: telemetry

Quote Originally Posted by Astudent1 View Post
    Hi everybody! What are the job specifications for a telemetry nurse? Do you know if there are state statute and regulations concerning telemetry nurses? I'm about to graduate and would like to work that field. Ty.
    Most hospitals offer telemetry courses. You need to be familiar with the different heart rhythms ranging from SR to the many different heart blocks and know the types of medications that are used to treat them.

Hi: Try taking an EKG course that includes interpretation of 12-lead EKGs. A local community college or technical school may offer these. Having this on your resume will probably get you in the door. It worked for me.

My first nursing job out of school was on a 64-bed Tele Unit. While I was doing a clinical rotation on this Tele Unit the day charge nurse asked me if I'd like a full-time position after finishing nursing school... I replied YES! They sent me to a 12 Lead EKG Course held at the same hospital a couple months after I started work.

This was in Texas, which has no specific regulations regards to tele nurses. I would venture to say the job criteria is at the local level.

Good luck!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN