Thread: Question about license

Smile Question about license

Hi, I have a question, I live in MO and I am attending a community college, and then I want to transfer to KU for my BSN, and then move to new york. When I move, am i going to have to retake the test, after I get my license in kansas, and are there any states to where you have to retake the test or will they just take your license as is
    Thank you

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Question about license

No you don't have to retake NCLEX to move from state to state. Some states are in a compact agreement. If you live and are liscensed in a state that's in the compact you can work on that liscense in other compact states. Some states are walk through where you can go to that board and get approved right away. Others you need to register and pay that state board money and you can get the liscense some take not long at all others take months.

Re: Question about license

Once you pass the NCLEX and get licensed, you usually do not have to take it again.

If you get your license then don't work for 5-10 years, you may need a refresher or to retake the exam.

Moving to a different state to practice is pretty simple. Have their state board of nursing contact the state where you are currently licensed.

Pay a fee to verify your license is in good standing, and you'll usually get a new license in the new state in a month or so.

Nice to know with a nursing license and experience, you can work literally in all 50 states. Specially in the years to come as the shortage gets much, much worse.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com