Thread: Mora Clinic Board places former director on probation

nursebot

Post Mora Clinic Board places former director on probation

Up to the minute news about Nursing. We'll find the latest Nursing news so you can chat about here.

Mora Clinic Board places former director on probation

By | The New Mexican June 18, 2006 The New Mexico Board of Nursing has put the former medical director of a Mora clinic on probation because of charges she improperly prescribed painkillers. Mary Bunker, a nurse practitioner employed by the Mora Valley

Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:08:00 GMT
    Post your comments about this story here.

Re: Mora Clinic Board places former director on probation

Quote Originally Posted by nursebot View Post
    Up to the minute news about Nursing. We'll find the latest Nursing news so you can chat about here.

Mora Clinic Board places former director on probation

Post your comments about this story here.
    I wonder what the bd members would have done if the people we have helped woud have been one of their loved ones!

Once I read the story and saw what meds were being prescribed, I felt that this nurse practitioner, in trying to "help" her clients was putting her license at risk.

From the article:
    The board's order said Bunker prescribed hundreds of pills to at least six individual patients -- including 6,450 tablets to one. These included Doxycycline, Hydrocodone, Oxycontin, Valium, Neurontin, Demerol, Cephalexin, Paxil, Percocet, Meperidine, Oxycodone, Diazepam, Triazolam and Remeron.

Although the board found insufficient evidence that Bunker misappropriated money, drugs or property, it said she failed to follow established procedures or to maintain adequate records.
    It isn't just the BON that has rules and regulations about maintaining records and proper procedures; the states and federal government have LAWS that need to be followed too.

This article is from 2006; I'm wondering if you knew of the actual case or were even involved in it (even just peripherally)? I'm also wondering if New Mexico had pain clinics etc. back then?

I have a lot of questions about this case and will do a bit more research to answer some of my own questions about it.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

This IS an old article: Nursebot has been disabled for a while.

Jenny, you and I both know that pain meds need to be titrated to each individual. What works for one person may not work for another.