Thread: Were you ever a traveler?

Were you ever a traveler?

I'm curious to know how many staff nurses out there traveled, and if you use to travel, why you chose to stop traveling and become a staff nurse.

Re: Were you ever a traveler?

I did a couple of travel assignments.. actually used travel assignments a a way to check out the facility and have a job waiting when I was already planning on relocating.

Since my husband died last year I have considered traveling for a while...guess I haven't as I'm trying to finish my degree and need to be in one place to do My practicums.

I like the concept though...I woked agency for about 15 years when my husband worked full-time and I didn't need benis (that was before agencies offered benis like they do now!)

I'll have to see what happens after I finish school.

I started to do Travel nursing in 1999. Came home in 2/2002 due to family crisis. I have not gone back to staff nursing and am currently working agency. I don't believe that I can ever go back to staff nursing. Why - I enjoy being in control of my life. If I don't want to work the holiday - I don't. There is no supervisor or nurse manager to attempt to make me feel guilty. I worked for 18 years on staff and never had Xmas off, or Thanksgiving or most of the other major holidays. I feel I have earned the right to say "no I'm not available". I know your question was why did you stop traveling and return to staff nursing but I felt compelled to respond as to why I would never go back to staff. I don't know - did any of this make sense to you?

I presently travel, and started as an adventure. I'm now looking for a facility that I would like to settle down and work. When I go to any given facility, I look at how administration treats their staff. I look for interaction between admin and staff, staff morale, etc. Usually that will determine how travelers are treated as well. Unfortunately, way too many places treat their staff as non-entities. They don't realize just how great their own staff is, how much their staff contribitutes to the bottom line financially, nor how much their staff IS the selling point for their business. Not only does that make me sad, it shows me that I don't want to be on staff at those facilities. Yes, I've come across lazy staff, however, for the most part, staff nurses, etc., are hard working, and bust their butts to get the job done, with little or no compensation or kudos. So, I'm still traveling and still looking.

I traveled for 6 assignments and LOVED it!!! I always wanted to travel and told myself I would when my son graduated and left home. He did, but by that time I had a daughter (my kids are 20 years apart!!) I knew if I didn't travel before DD started school, I'd have to wait until SHE graduated. By then I MIGHT be too old to be an effective traveler (it's not for everyone.) I quit ONLY because there is a law requiring children to go to school, and she became of age. Don't yak about home schooling - that's another topic for another day!!!

Suffice it to say, I loved it, and I'll do it again in a heartbeat if I'm not in Depends or behind a walker when DD graduates!!!

Hello, I am a travel nurse and I love it. I am looking for information on Arizona. Anyone outthere ever worked in pheonix. or Tuscon? I prefer trauma centers. I work as an RN on a Burn/Trauma/Neuro step/down and med. floor.

Hi Chesapeake, welcome to the forums. I can't help you but I spoke with another traveler in Arizona now that is moving to Miami. Maybe you can try to PM her.

[ QUOTE ]
    DeeCVRN said:
    I am looking for something around the Miami airport, or South Beach area. I am from Louisiana and Texas. I am in Arizona on assignment for now. My Spanish is very little and my French is less than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps.

O_S