Thread: Living on a sailboat / travel nursing up and down the east coast

Living on a sailboat / travel nursing up and down the east coast

Would love to hear from anyone that lives fulltime or part time aboard a boat and does travel nursing fulltime or part time.
    Tina

Hey Tina,
    My wife is an RN and wanting to travel. I am her unofficial agent. We Talked to travel comapanies and found a good one to work with but for Florida I found you can get more money (a lot) doing your own temp/seasonal/per diem. I think the hospitals like it that way too. We are planning to hit the Tampa area Jan/Feb. I wont start looking for a boat and marina till we get there. I presume that wont be a problem. I did find a very nice marina in Naples but the Hopsital in Tampa is so highly recomended that I though we would start there.

Would love to hear how you are making out. It would be great to find a little group of travel sailors!

Best of luck, Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by tina71 View Post
    Would love to hear from anyone that lives fulltime or part time aboard a boat and does travel nursing fulltime or part time.
    Tina

Hi Tina & Daniel,

I am in my last semester of nursing school but saw this post and wanted to join in (this is my first post here btw).

My husband and I have a KP44 sailboat on our property in WA state. Once I graduate in May we will be moving to the coast (we currently live in CO) and start on the refit in earnest. My plan is to get my initial nursing experience while completing the refit and paying off all our debt. In 2-4 years we will cast off for good. I think we may initially do coastal travel down the west coast then head west and visit places like hawaii, marshall islands and guam (not necessarily in that order). But who knows, we may go east and do FL and USVI for a while instead...it's great to be flexible!

I expect to eventually do only one placement stateside per year. This way I can keep my skills & experience current, be able to put some $ in the sailing kitty and come back to the states to see family once a year.

I'd love to find a group of travel sailors as well. I see us sharing good hospital/marina matches among other things.

Lori