Thread: Why I don't like Unions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Yes, I read the story.

Employees across the capital region, the area where Mr. Monsour works, were recently warned to keep quiet about episodes inside the group homes. One handout distributed by management bluntly directed employees not to mention reports of abuse in daily progress notes kept on residents. Doing so, the handout warned, could make them subject to subpoena.

“DON’T report in your notes that an Incident Report was filled out,” the instructions said, adding: “IF IT ISN’T DOCUMENTED, IT WASN’T DONE.”

This quote is what gets me, though. Per a former instructor, any mention of an Incident report in charting really opens up a different can of worms. Obviously investigations should be done, which were obviously neglected in this article.

I think that PESI has a Continuing Ed seminar regarding charting coming up. Have seriously thought about taking it. You know the saying: KYA. Maybe it could help in instances like this?

I like the comment about the mental capacity of some residents: some get violent---a reflex due to their cognitive functions. How many Health Care workers realize that?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

So Right

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Yes, I read the story.

I think that PESI has a Continuing Ed seminar regarding charting coming up. Have seriously thought about taking it. You know the saying: KYA. Maybe it could help in instances like this?

I like the comment about the mental capacity of some residents: some get violent---a reflex due to their cognitive functions. How many Health Care workers realize that?
    I find that most violent acting out among the DD/MR community is often attributed to behavior of staff = Even the most severely cogitively impaired individuals are actually quite smart and very sweet but when they get scared or angry often justifiably they don't know their own strength.

I always tell staff not to assume that because they are developmentally disabled they are stupid. They are very intuitive and act on instinct.

H