Thread: Return to work

Question Return to work

Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I was here last. I would like to present a question and get some feedback on a nursing issue. I have been a RN for 16 yrs. Mainly LTAC, Step-down and tele. I have not worked in about 2 1/2 yrs. I still hold an active LA RN license. I am ready to return to work but I am afraid that since I haven't worked in awhile this is going to create problems. I don't feel there are any skills that I can't pick back up quickly once back on the floor. I may be open to the possibility of relocating if necessary. Also, are there any alternative opportunities out there for nurses who may not want to go back to a hospital/floor setting. I would like something where I will have patient contact. No QA or insurance physicals, etc. I would love to work with traumatic brain injury patients or "at risk" youth/substance abuse. I appreciate any feedback or ideas that you can give. Thanks and I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Welcome back, Donna! Glad to see you again.

i hope you don't mind, but I copied your post, and put it in another Forum. I figured the more exposure.....

Have you considered Home Health? I know that there must be some TBI cases out there. Perhaps others may have some other helpful advice?

'Cat'

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I was going to say home health as well - I don't know how it works in your state but we have what's called intermediate care facilities for people with disabilities, seizure disorders, at risk youth etc.... They are basically group homes but require a nurse to monitor their care and medical conditions and coordinate their care. Here in CA the pay is comparable to nursing on the floor but you have greater autonomy and freedom. I sort of got into this by accident but I do like it a lot.

Peace and namaste

Hppy

Glad to have you back.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!