Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phones and apps

Cool Cell phones and apps

Just wanted to see anyone has a recommendations for a cell phone to use for work, I looking for the best phone for nursing apps. Also any recommendations for nursing apps particularly for critical care meds, calculating doses, and other critical care reference in the Critical Care ER setting. Thanks in advance for your help.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Hey, Gypsy! Why not drop by here: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f133/ I know I just posted something about Elsevier's new apps.

If you ever come across any other useful info., please share it!

'Cat'

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    I don't know every hospital job I've ever had had very strict "No personal cell phone" rules. The whole texting thing drives me crazy as I can't imagine having to be in "real time" contact with everybody I know. We've actually had to fire people because they were texting when they were supposed to be doing patient care!

If I was looking for useful apps I suppose a dosage calculator, or drug look-up would be cool. May and English to Spanish translator - When I did L&D I learned how to tell a woman to push in Spanish "Puja" and Puja grande" but that's about it.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I can understand the phone apps if you are 'in the field', and unable to access a computer d/t no available service. If in the hospital, one usually has a COW, some agencies have laptops, but....as mentioned before....if the reception is crummy......

Thanks. I haven't any intention of using a cell phone for texting at work. I too, do not feel the need to constantly be in touch with someone. However, I have used my phone for the calculator at work. Espec for checking my math on peds med doseages. The hospital I am at does not allow internet access without a password. People have used the internet for facebook, shopping, web surfing etc.... Therefore the internet is not assessible. The dept has one drug handbook if you have the time to look for it as it could be in multiple locations. I have on occassion asked a physician to log on to the internet so that I may look up some reference. If I not familiar with something I like to be able to at least quickly read up on it. I have thought about a PDA but read a article by an ARPN that recommended a smart phone over a PDA, partially for size and weight. I guess it's a slightly sore subject for me. As we have nurses texting and web surfing all the time including charge nurses. They use other's passwords. I think a person should be held accountable for their actions instead of a blanket policy for everyone. I do not use my cellphone in patient's view and on the rare occassion that I have, I've told patient/family what app I am using and why and they've never had a promblem with it. Such as I'm converting your baby's wt to kg so I know how much med to give, etc.... I really don't see the difference in using it and a PA or ARNP looking up an app. Of course I have to triage patients who constantly text. Example a young mother answered 6essages while I tried to triage her infant even though there is a sign that states no cell phone use in triage and I asked her politely to not text while I asked her questions regarding her baby. Sorry if this seems like a rant. I just wanted some recommendations.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    No problem, Gypsy! I understand where you are coming from, truly I do. Rant away any time.

Well, my 4G iPhone is very useful a work. I have many apps R/T nursing & medical in general. I have an app that allows you to list two meds to see if they are compatible. I can do this much faster on my smartphone vs a laptop or a desktop computer.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Thanks Cougar for allowing me to rant. My poor brother in law sent me a link about Health Care Reform. I doubt he will ever do that again after my rant response. So, it is nice to have a place to rant. Soldier Nurse, thanks for telling me about your 4G, I have given it a thought and it's nice to get feedback. Also, thank you for all your service, I do appreciate you.

gypsynurse, your welcome.

BTW1; like your username

BTW2; One of our son's is also active duty Army officer.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    gypsynurse, your welcome.

BTW1; like your username

BTW2; One of our son's is also active duty Army officer.
    I have a Doid Eris. I know that all droids have great apps, with most being free or minimal cost (like 1 to 6 dollars) I have free Epocrates.
    Steph R. RN, MS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast