Thread: Isoniazid for Latent TB?

Member Extraordinaire

Isoniazid for Latent TB?

Any of you ever taken the 9-month course of Isoniazid for latent TB infection? I just got a call from employee health, and my Quantiferon-Gold test came back positive for TB. They want me to go on isoniazid for 9 months, but in reading about the side effects, it sounds like some nasty stuff. Not sure if I want to take my changes with the latent TB, or take the INH...

Do any of you have any experiences with this- or any of you who have also tested positive but elected to refuse treatment?
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Isoniazid for Latent TB?

:offtopic: Quantiferon-gold?????? Never heard of THAT test. (I take it your Mantoux was also positive.)

Member Extraordinaire

The hospital where I work no longer uses TB skin tests/mantoux tests. Skin testing is not as accurate. The new standard is Quantiferon-Gold... blood testing. I had my first test come back positive this summer, but they never got around to telling me & having a second drawn until last week.... Just trying to decide if I want to do INH treatment for 9 months, or risk the 5-10% chance that I develop TB sometime later in life.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    The hospital where I work no longer uses TB skin tests/mantoux tests. Skin testing is not as accurate. The new standard is Quantiferon-Gold... blood testing. I had my first test come back positive this summer, but they never got around to telling me & having a second drawn until last week.... Just trying to decide if I want to do INH treatment for 9 months, or risk the 5-10% chance that I develop TB sometime later in life.

That's weird. I'll have to talk to the local County about this test. I've been going in every year to have the Mantoux done, as I was notified 9 months after 'possible exposure' to drug resistant TB. The one lady, who just retired, knows TB. When I go in, I will ask about what you mentioned.

BTW, I figure the County has to be aleted if anyone 'converts', so why not go there for a free test anyhow?