Thread: RN courses

Anonymous

RN courses

I am interested in becoming an RN but I need to know the steps, how to get started ?? I'm a lost little lamb HELP

Thanks, Gina

Anonymous

Re: RN courses

Hi Gina and welcome to the forums! I hope you'll decide to register and stick around since as a prospective nursing student there's a lot of information to share here.

The first step towards becomming an RN is to check with the college or university of your choice to see if they offer degrees in nursing and find out what the requirements are to be accepted into the Department of Nursing.

I would strongly advise you to pursue a BSN degree (4 year) rather than a two year associate degree, but if you're unable to spend 4 years in school before getting to work then by all means look into the associate degree as a way to start out but plan to continue your education while working if you go that route.

Best of luck & let us know if you start nursing school ok?

Sara

Re: RN courses

Gina,
    You don't say if you're a highschool student or an adult learner. If you're highschool, head to the guidance office. As an adult learner, do you have a degree or college credit? Do you prefer teh structure of a classroom or independent learning-both are avaliable.
    Both 2 and 4 year programs are avaliable. Which interests you? Find an accredited program and check their requirements.

What about finances? Do you have funds? Need loans? Qualify for grants? Lots of funding is avaliable for nursing as there is such a shortage.

Hope this helps...if I can be of further assistance please let me know. After 27 years of nursing, starting as a diploma nurse, obtaining my BSN and currently working on my masters/NP I still love nursing and would be happy to help in any way I can
    Bonnie