Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
Welcome to the site, peps007! I moved your post to the OR Forum. MarieLPN, our resident OR nurse, could probably help you on many of your questions when she drops by.

Hope to see you around!

'Cat'
Let me say that I was a Certified Surgical Tech for three years, as well as have worked in the OR as an RN for 4 years. So, even though my specialty has been the ICU since 2006 I do know a thing or two about the OR.

peps007, I started in the healthcare field as a CST [w/Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology]. Upon completion of nuring school left the OR to work as an RN on 64-bed Telemetry Unit, next worked in 10-bed ICU. Decided I missed the OR I went back to working as an RN in the OR. I found the transition to Circulator very easy based on my previous CST experience. I was offered a sign-on bonus to go back to the OR where I was a CST. They let me first scrub a lot when they were short of scrub techs. However, in the OR the RN's primary duty is to Circulate. In the past I've wished I'd pursued RNFA credentials.

Most ORs will not train RNs to be first scrubs, i.e. set-up the backtable & mayo, and first pass. Rather, most ORs will focus training on the Circulator role, as well as gown & glove and safely function as a second scrub to assist via holding retractors. If the OR staff is short of techs & well staffed for RNs on a particular day then ask if you can be assigned to a room with an experienced scrub tech. A case like exploratory lap that is involved but not emergent would be good for you to first pass.

If, I could rewind the years I'd probably gone to PA school. It would really be cool to be a PA for an Orthopod.

BTW, where is MarieLPN, anyway?