Thread: Sick Days....

Sick Days....

Just curious about the policy on sick days at other hospitals.

We were just informed that if we call in 2 days in a year.....it affects our raise. That seems a little tight. I have missed 2 days the whole year....the first when my son caught RSV, and the second one I had bronchitis. Both were documented by my physician, and I had notes from the physicians office. (And to top that off, one of those days was after I already worked 48 hours that week, and called in sick on my call day.)

I have a friend that works at another facility, and she stated that she gets a $100 bonus every quarter if they call in less than 2 days each quarter.

I almost always go in when they are short on staff, and I know it will never offset the 24 hours I missed in 1 year.
    I am NEVER late, but my evaluation will be knocked down enough that it will affect my raise from a 6% to a maximum of 4%, if everything else is perfect.

Re: Sick Days....

that seems a little strict, especially if there are no exceptions (like working extra, or when they are short) to counterbalance the rule...let us know what happens

I think that is crazy. The days you have worked extra should void the ones you have missed. I would make sure to point that out. Make sure you point out the number of hours you have worked compared to the number of hours you were originally scheduled for. This will show that even though you have called in 2 days, you have worked far beyond that, and deserve your 6%.

Kryss88,
    I'll bet you work for HCA.

Anonymous

Charles,

How does working another day help the people who had to work short on the day you called out. Nursing is 24/7 365 days a year. Nursing is something that can"t just be made up.
    I do agree that 2 days a year is awful low.

When I worked in the hospital we were allowed 4 per year and then 5 was a verbal 6 was written and I believe 8 was termination... Buttttttttttttttt.. if you called out two days in a row with the same illness it was considered only 1 incident. So if you decided to call out sick might as well take 2 days. So conceivably you could get 8 days or more with the same reprecussions as someone taking 4. Some nurses took advantage and did call out sick for 2 days. Some people think taking one day means you couldn't have been that sick. HMMMMMMMMM
    And why would health care people want sick nurses taking care of people who are so ill in the hospital to begin with always baffles me.

JMHO

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Member Extraordinaire

we can take 3 sick days together for 1 incident. Bad thing with ours is you have to call in 2 hours before your shift starts or you don't get paid. I set my alarm for 2 hours before work then have 1 hour to get ready and 1 to drive and get changed at work. If I'm sick I might not wake up before the alarm so I'm already late calling...haven't called in sick in several years but if I wanted to I wouldn't get paid even if I do work extra that pay period or anytime they call and need extra help 99% of the time I go in. I do think things like that should be considered in the penelty not like I call in all the time. At our hospital I think it's also who you are if you do get written up as there are a couple on my unit who should be long gone but aren't.

I am never ceased to be amazed at the idiocity (is that a word?? If not it is now) of the sick day policies in hospitals across the US.

We work in HOSPITALS for crying out loud!!! We are exposed to every bacteria, virus and fungus as the patients we care for have been exposed to. If it made them sick enough to go to the hospital, doesn't it stand to reason we'll catch something every now and then??? Don't yak at me about universal precautions - we all take them. But until we are issued bubble suits, we will catch something some time!!! To be penalized to the point of losing pay increases and even our jobs just baffles the hell out of me!!!

(I'm rambling again, aren't I??) Bottom line, 2 days of sick time a year is absurd!!!