Nice article: My profession: Donna Hathaway, nursing » The Commercial Appeal

Donna Hathaway, dean of the University of Tennessee College of Nursing, was the first in her family to become a nurse. Now, there are many following her example.

The College of Nursing is a nationally recognized change agent in nursing education and is part of one of the largest academic health science centers in the southeastern U.S.

The college has been cited on the U.S. News & World Report List of America's Best Graduate Schools.

Founded 112 years ago, the College of Nursing was the first such institution in the state of Tennessee, and one of the initial baccalaureate programs in the country.

"I got interested in nursing because I loved science and biology," Hathaway said. "My first nursing job was working the 3-to-11 shift as an aide at a small hospital in Missouri. I still remember the faces of many of the patients I cared for during my career. I felt like I was able to make a difference in their lives.

"The themes of caring for others and making a difference have followed me as a clinician, an educator, a researcher, and now today as an administrator."

Hathaway became dean of the College of Nursing in 2000 after she moved to Memphis in 1984 to focus on research.

As dean, she is now having an impact on the lives of more than 350 students and 50 faculty members.

Hathaway received her bachelor's and master's degrees in nursing from the University of Missouri-Columbia, and Ph.D. in nursing from the University of Texas.

"Being a dean is like a CEO of a small organization," Hathaway said. "My job is creating a learning environment and helping provide the resources so people can be successful. Nursing is an exceptional career, providing many opportunities to be successful. A person can always find a job in nursing, even in a challenging economy.

"My advice is to attend nursing school and do not quit until you have a doctoral degree. Career opportunities are endless regardless of a person's interests. The pay is good, and you will be making a difference in people's lives."

Hathaway has come a long way from being raised on a farm in a rural area of Missouri with no indoor plumbing and starting her education in a two-room schoolhouse.

"The Mid-South is fortunate with excellent nursing programs," Hathaway said.

"Our College of Nursing has had a legacy of education innovation and leadership. My challenge is to continue that outstanding work and stand on the shoulders of the giants who went before me."