It is once again time to put things in order and reflect over the past year, and I thought I'd start by sending these thoughts on giving thanks.

If you haven't started this yet you may want to take a moment and ask yourself this, " has there ever been a time in my life when I have been more blessed than I am now?" If your answer is no then you have much to be thankful for and certainly you are doing something right for there is a
reason for this testament. If your answer is yes, then you have so much to look forward to in your personal life. Never let blessings and thankfulness be overshadowed by adversity.

Oh it is a time for lists; shopping list, preparation list, guests list, family lists, family member names list (big family), and a list of thankful blessings. Get your lists ready now! This is the perfect holiday! My personal favorite. No presents to buy or cards to send, no flowers to purchase. Just get together with family and love ones and say, "Hey I love you, let's eat!" Does that sound too easy? It really is.

This historic proclamation was issued by George Washington during his first year as President. It sets aside Thursday, November 26 as "A Day of Publick Thanksgiving anf Prayer." (they wrote and spoke funny back then) In 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt moved the holiday to the third Thursday of November (to extend the Christmas shopping season and boost the economy). After a storm of protest, Roosevelt changed the holiday again in 1941 to the
fourth Thursday in November, where it stands today.

Maybe it's the fact that I turned 43 this year that I have had a chance to take full account of nearly half a centuries events. It also has taught me to be aware of all there is that comes to us in many disguises, but all are
reasons to be thankful. Here are some that come to mind:

For the wife:
Who says it's hotdogs tonight, because that means she is home, and not with someone else.

For the husband:
Who is on the sofa, who is being a couch potato and not out at the bars.

For the teenager:
Who is complaining about doing dishes, because that means she is at home and not on the streets

For the taxes that I pay;
For that means that I am employed

For the mess to clean after a party
Because it means that I have been surrounded by friends

For my shadow that watches me work
Because it means that I am out in the sunshine

For the clothes that fit a little too snug
Because it means that I have enough to eat

For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing:
Because it means that I have a home

For all the complaining I hear about the Government
Because it means that we have freedom of speech

For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
Because it means that I am capable of walking and that I have been blessed with transportation

For my huge heating bill
Because it means that I am warm

For the lady behind me in church that sings off key
Because it means that I can hear

For the pile of laundry and ironing
Because it means that I have clothes to wear

For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
Because it means that I have been capable of working hard

AND....For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours Because it means that I am alive.

I am thankful for the dedications I have made in my life to God, family, friends, self, and work, in that order.

How have we beaten the odds another year? Statistics show (just an example) 1 out of 10 will become ill or have an accident, divorce, loose something of value or experience a trauma in life. I have personally suffered many losses this past year, and still seem to find joy with each
passing day.

When you gather together with a large group (family) and see that these statistics do not apply to you and yours, then you really have something to be thankful for.

Personally, I give thanks for the ability to recognize the blessings I have received. Health in body, mind, heart and spirit tops my list. I give thanks that I can and do work, and for the benefits it provides for others and myself. I give thanks for who I am, where I live, what I have learned and how I was taught. I am thankful for all the joys in my life. I am thankful that I can get past the discomforts, aggravations, distractions, and catastrophes which trial me at times. I give thanks for the beauty of nature in its entire splendor from violent to serene. I give thanks for an
abundance of love to share.

I wish all of you half of the love I will witness during the holiday of Thankfulness and be happy for you and yours.

I want to wish all of my friends and family a most wonderful Thanksgiving season this year. Focus on those that you love. It is a very personal time and should remain so. Be sure to give thanks for your freedom and for those
that provide it. Share a blessing with others so they may be thankful too. It is good to be thankful for all we have but it is even better to be thanked.

With Kind and Sincere Thoughts, and especially to my good friend Bob for the inspiration in these words.