Hi! My name is Rachael, and I am a SN at the University of Nevada, Reno. For our theory class, we have an assignment to post a question on an online forum.

Because our 1st semester was basically all assessment, while doing my reading I realized I had what I thought was a unilateral (left) nontender, nonmobile, firm preauricular lymph node. The first thing that went through me mind was "Cancer, cancer, cancer!"

I didn't want to think much of it because, as everyone has probably experienced, when we're reading about all of these disorders you always think, "Holy moly, I think I have that!"

To make a long story short, I went to multiple doctor (primary, 2 ENT's) each doing a different diagnostic test (biopsy, CBC, MRI), each coming back with lymph cells or obvious lymph tissue.

Naturally, this struck an interest personally and as a future nurse. I've been doing plenty of medical research on the subject, so obviously I'm not looking for personal medical advice. The information I'm looking for are clinical/situational, or I'm looking for input from nurses knowledgeable in this area.

I'm just curious if any RN's have either experienced this personally, have seen this in practice whether it be at an ENT office, pre or post-op, etc.

Some possible questions (and any additional information would be greatly appreciated) I wanted to address would be in regards to discharge planning in a patient after the removal of a lymph node, or personal or individual patient situations seen as a nurse:

- What are some situations seen, requiring the removal of lymph nodes, if diagnostic tests thus far have ruled out cancer?

- Although we have many lymph nodes in the body, is anyone aware of whether or not there is a significant effect on the immune system after having 1 or more lymph node removed? Immune status?

- What are some of the adverse effects witnessed with the removal of alymph node?

- How often, or have you ever seen the diagnosis of an encapsulated infection in lymph tissue (making it unilateral, nontender, etc) ?

Again, this is for my future nursing knowledge and for a school assignment, so thank you all for your time. Your input and responses will be greatly appreciated!!