Thread: Nursing School Grading scales

Nursing School Grading scales

Ok all you RN-BSN's out there. What was your grading scale in upperdivision. To get an A in my school you have to make a 93, an 86 for a B, And an 80 for a C. And if you make a 79.9 you are kicked out. Is everyones this strict. Or are some on the traditional 10 point scale? Will this grading scale hurt me when i try to get into graduate school or will they adjust it to a 10 point scale?

Re: Nursing Chool Grading scales

I don't know if you're still active on the forums or not, but oh well. I'm not a RN yet, but am in school. That grading scale is pretty accurate though. Some of my classes are the one you mentioned, others are 10 pt. A lot of the professors have the option to choose which they use. I wish they'd just standardize one across the country and stick with it. Anyways, hope this helps, and what ever became of school?

It's the same here; however, they changed it last semester to 90-100 is an "A", "B" I believe is 83-89, and "C" is 80-82. Really I don't undersand why they don't make it the normal grading scale and require that everyone must get a 2.7 (B-) or higher to pass?:confused:

I graduated in May and our grading scale was the 10 point system--90-100 A; 80-89 B; 74-79 C---anything else and you fail. Starting in the fall they have switched to the scale that your school uses. Everyone is flipping out! School is hard enough without the increased requirements. Also--you can only "not pass" one nursing or core course in you college career. Our school has about 1700 students in it each semester (4 year program) and only graduates 60-70 nurses per semester!

Glad I'm DONE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jocklene View Post
    I graduated in May and our grading scale was the 10 point system--90-100 A; 80-89 B; 74-79 C---anything else and you fail. Starting in the fall they have switched to the scale that your school uses. Everyone is flipping out! School is hard enough without the increased requirements. Also--you can only "not pass" one nursing or core course in you college career. Our school has about 1700 students in it each semester (4 year program) and only graduates 60-70 nurses per semester!

Glad I'm DONE!!!!
    Who that's and 85% drop out rate! Either the college isn't preparing student for the program or students aren't taking it seriously. After almost a year I think I've lost about half my classmates since starting last fall. We have the same policy about retaking classes. Also you have to get an 80% or higher on each test (with one retake) per course. The finals you don't have to get an 80% on, but I think they might change that soon.

Re: Nursing School Grading scales

I graduated back in May. My program was a 7pt scale (A = 93-100, B = 85-92, C = 77-84). Anything less was failure. We also had to maintain a cumm 2.5 gpa for all classes (nursing and others). We could fail exams in a course, but had to have a C average for all exams in that course before they added in other grades for a final course grade. We were allowed to retake 2 classes.

I went to a small private college in Illinois. The school's nursing program has recently grown to accommodate freshmen classes of greater than 40. With the 2 classes I saw start as freshman/sophmores, they started with about 40 students. That would eventually be whittled down to graduate about 15. What I found was many students didn't realize how many science classes they would need. Also, they first actual nursing class they took was entirely theory and core values. A lot of people would change majors after seeing that or fail because it wasn't what they thought a nursing education would be. Admittedly, I felt the same way, but I saw it through.

WOW, I am so glad I don't live in one of the states the rest of you do. I am in my last semester of nursing school in GA. Most of the BSN programs I know of in this state require a 2.7 at least to get in, but once in the grading scale is as follows: A=100-90 B=89-80 C=79-75. And most of the programs I know let you fail TWO nursing classes and then you are kicked out if you fail a third. Once you get kicked out you can't reapply to any BSN program in the state of GA for 10 years I believe. I have got all A's and B's in my nursing classes but I have failed classes during my core requirements, I think that rule of only being allowed to fail ONE class in core or nursing classes isn't fair. Most people in college are young and haven't had experience and tend to party a little too much in the beginning but with time they usually mature. I know this is true in my case, but I am now 27 and have now made my dean's list 5 times (and I retook those classes and got A's or B's). Now I do believe the rule of being allowed to fail two classes and then getting kicked out on the third time is a little too generous, this is a profession that is dealing with a person's life and I don't want a person working on me that has had to repeat two classes, the bar should be set high for nursing students. As for the high turnover rate, it doesn't surprise me because a lot of people are attracted to the nursing profession (sometimes not for the right reasons) and not everyone can meet the requirements. I definately have to tell my classmates about some of the high standards set by other states when they start complaining about ours (and they tend to complain a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by syudent1010@aol.com View Post
    ...because a lot of people are attracted to the nursing profession (sometimes not for the right reasons)...
    In my first nursing class, on the first day, it was interesting to see who was there. One of the other 5 men in my class looked like he was there for a girl (perhaps his then gf). They were always seen together. Needless to say, he didn't remain passed the 2nd week, and I don't recall what happened to the girl.

I just can't wait to get out of Nursing School...I have until May 08 and I'm done

I see the thread was only directed to BSN's but thought I'd reply anyway. I am currently in my 4th semester at a local technical college. Our grading scale seems to be higher than any than what you guys are speaking of....A=100-94%, B=92-86%, and a C=83-80%. Last semester the college had a 94% pass rate on the NCLEX!! Yippy!! And we all must remember no matter how good your grades are it doesn't guarantee you will pass the NCLEX. I work with a girl who achieved almost a 4.0 in school and she failed her first NCLEX.