Thread: Transition from Abused Secretary to Nurse

Transition from Abused Secretary to Nurse

Hoping someone has advice. I am currently a laid-off assistant and although I am currently job hunting I am ready to change professions. I have felt a pull towards nursing for the last few years and was wondering if anyone here has advice for people who absolutely must work to support one child and maintain a household but managed to earn a nursing degree. What was it like for you? I have a degree in Business Administration and I'm tired of working with spoiled executives [last job I covered 18 managers successfully but it was hell].

I live in Staten Island, NY but will be moving to either upstate NY or NJ [sick of the ferry, sick of the borough]. Can anyone anywhere offer some advice? I'm considering RN, LPN or Physician's Assistant down the road.

Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

Skyyblue

Re: Transition from Abused Secretary to Nurse

I am graduating with a BSN in 12/2003. I started school pregnant with my 2nd child and had my 3rd child at the end of last semester. My advice....use your support system for child care and take out student loans. You have 10 years to pay them back. It is the same as a car loan except your education will not depreciate. Here in Texas, if you work 3 years in a county hospital, the government pays back 80% of student loans - see if there is something equivalent to that where you will be located. Work weekends and supplement that with the loans (not to mention all kinds of scholarships). Contact the financial aid dept at your local university and start there. They are a fountain of information. Nursing school is one of the hardest things I have ever done. We have sacrificed, lived in a house that is much too small, and not shopped in a really long time. However, it does end and is very much worth the effort. Good Luck.