Thread: Toby finds his niche at area nursing home

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Toby finds his niche at area nursing home

Pets do some good! The Commercial-News, Danville, IL - Toby finds his niche at nursing home

When a resident at the Vermilion Manor Nursing Home is feeling down, all he needs is a daily dose of Toby.

The little Maltese-spitz with the boundless energy does wonders for people’s spirits.

“He’s a great gift to these residents,” said owner Kelly See, who’s also activity director at the home. “It makes me feel good when they get joy from Toby.”

See brings the 2-year-old dog to work with her almost every day. When she does leave him home, people always ask where he is.

In fact, she said she can be walking down the hallway alone — and she’s invisible to the residents. But when Toby is by her side, suddenly everyone notices and speaks to them.

An animal lover, See has always owned pets — dogs, cats and even a pot-bellied pig. Less than two years ago, she learned a couple was trying to find a home for Toby because they had to be on the road so much.

See didn’t have a dog at the time, so she took the puppy in.

A few months later, she took him to the nursing home, knowing his loving personality would brighten people’s day.

While visiting the residents that first day, Toby got into bed with a stroke patient, who reached out to pet him.

The patient’s family members couldn’t believe it: It was the first response they had seen from their mother.

“That’s when I knew it was his calling,” See said. “He’s a big part of these residents’ lives. I don’t see him retiring anytime soon.”

Toby has a knack for bringing people out of their shells.

If someone is a recluse or self-isolated, he or she will respond to the dog. Military veterans, too, open up to Toby.

If a resident is being aggressive, See and Toby will walk with him or her until the person calms down.

“It comes naturally to him,” See said, noting that Toby knows how to react to people’s moods.

Toby hasn’t had any therapy-dog training yet, but See plans to take him to classes. He’s naturally good with people, and has been well-behaved.

“He’s with me all the time,” See said. “If you see Toby in the hallway, I’m not far behind.”

He’s often on a leash, especially when he gets a bit rowdy. Certain parts of the nursing home, such as the kitchen, are off-limits.

Some of the residents don’t care for Toby, saying a dog belongs outside.

“We just go on by,” she said, adding she’s careful not to impose her pet on people who don’t like dogs or are afraid of them.

However, a majority of the residents like him.

“As you can see, everybody loves Toby. There are very few who don’t,” See said.

“Everybody loves him,” resident Jerri Hawkins said.

See also noted that a pet’s presence can be physically beneficial, as pets are known to lower high blood pressure.

Another nice thing about Toby is that he doesn’t shed much, and his breed is considered hypoallergenic, See said, so allergies aren’t a problem.

Toby is very attached to See, and won’t visit residents unless she comes along.

Even outside of work, she said, “He goes everywhere with me. I love him so much.”

At See’s home near Westville, Toby enjoys playing with her sons, Jacob, 18, and Noah, 9.

See encourages visitors to bring their pets to the nursing home, as long as they have their shots and are on a leash.

Toby is a good example of what animal lovers have known for ages — a loving dog can brighten a person’s mood with just a wagging tail. Wouldn’t it be nice if all nursing homes had a full-time dog or cat on duty, just like Toby?

Re: Toby finds his niche at area nursing home

Toby is a good example of what animal lovers have known for ages — a loving dog can brighten a person’s mood with just a wagging tail.
    Oh i totally agree with this. Nothing like having a crappy day at work, then come home to two dogs, so excited and thrilled simply because i walked through the door. There's no way i can stay in a bad mood after that, especially when i sit down to take off my shoes, and each dog instantly gives me a kiss on the chin.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

Re: Toby finds his niche at area nursing home

Remember: According to Charlie Brown, 'Happiness is a warm puppy.'

My residents go gaga over any pet that walks in. They could be in the most crumby mood, and then do a 180.