Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I hope someone can give me some advice. I graduated with a BSN about 2 yrs ago. When I graduated, I had to deal with some family issues that prevented me from searching for a full time job right away. Little did I know that waiting a year would lead to the enormous difficulties in finding a job.
    I guess the economy has a lot to do with it too. I passed the NCLEX the first time, and had a good GPA when I graduated. I had a different career before nursing school, and never had so much difficulty finding a job.

I have been searching jobs in the NYC area, including Westchester and NJ for over a year now. I am currently working in a nursing long term care facility (for about 10 mos), but it's not acute care, and every single recruiter I've talked to has told me this doesn't 'count' as experience.
    But I've applied a few times to most hospitals in NYC, gone to open houses (where there were over 100 nurses applying for a few positions), talked in person to recruiters, etc. Some hospitals won't even let you talk to a recruiter or manager, and want you to apply online.

I've also had a few referrals from people I know, but this still didn't get me an interview. Alot of places also don't want to hire w/o experience right now.
    I just don't know what to do. I have heard of new grads getting jobs, even though most of them are having a hard time too. But I think I may be less likely to be hired than a new grad at this point. I still remember most of what I learned in school, and have taken numerous continuing ed courses, and certifications in BLS, ACLS, IV therapy, etc.

I just can't even seem to get an interview in most cases. I always get rejection letters or emails stating that I don't have enough experience or that they will keep my resume on file.

Should l just take a refresher course and try to see if the hospital where I do clinicals 'may' consider giving me a chance?
    Or is it just a waste of time and money?
    I am a nurse now, but I am not doing anything related to acute care and not building up my resume or skills in my current job. There is no room for advancement, and I am basically just passing meds.
    I hope someone can give me some advice.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Quote Originally Posted by GabyNY View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I hope someone can give me some advice. I graduated with a BSN about 2 yrs ago. When I graduated, I had to deal with some family issues that prevented me from searching for a full time job right away. Little did I know that waiting a year would lead to the enormous difficulties in finding a job.
    I guess the economy has a lot to do with it too. I passed the NCLEX the first time, and had a good GPA when I graduated. I had a different career before nursing school, and never had so much difficulty finding a job.

I have been searching jobs in the NYC area, including Westchester and NJ for over a year now. I am currently working in a nursing long term care facility (for about 10 mos), but it's not acute care, and every single recruiter I've talked to has told me this doesn't 'count' as experience.
    But I've applied a few times to most hospitals in NYC, gone to open houses (where there were over 100 nurses applying for a few positions), talked in person to recruiters, etc. Some hospitals won't even let you talk to a recruiter or manager, and want you to apply online.

I've also had a few referrals from people I know, but this still didn't get me an interview. Alot of places also don't want to hire w/o experience right now.
    I just don't know what to do. I have heard of new grads getting jobs, even though most of them are having a hard time too. But I think I may be less likely to be hired than a new grad at this point. I still remember most of what I learned in school, and have taken numerous continuing ed courses, and certifications in BLS, ACLS, IV therapy, etc.

I just can't even seem to get an interview in most cases. I always get rejection letters or emails stating that I don't have enough experience or that they will keep my resume on file.

Should l just take a refresher course and try to see if the hospital where I do clinicals 'may' consider giving me a chance?
    Or is it just a waste of time and money?
    I am a nurse now, but I am not doing anything related to acute care and not building up my resume or skills in my current job. There is no room for advancement, and I am basically just passing meds.
    I hope someone can give me some advice.
    I have always worked in California so I have no idea what the job market/economy on the East Coast is like. I would suggest that if you have a job stick tight for now. I would look into the larger teaching hospitals and see if they have nurse internships. The pay is less but you gain lots of experience and these internships often lead to jobs when people get to know you and see you work. It all depends on if you are in a position to work for a little less money for a period of time. Also if you can afford not to be picky about shifts it's often easier to get night and swing shifts than days.

Also there may be something that you are doing or saying during interviews that you need to change. If you can find one attend a seminar on interviewing so that a coach can pinpoint any problem areas and help you refine your approach. Many years ago I did this and found that it helped tremendously. Update your resume to show how skills used in your previous career apply to nursing - Phrases like able to multitask under chaotic conditions, Motivated self starter etc... help a lot.

The in spite of assurances by the current administration, the economy is recovering at a slower than expected rate and the recession is far from over. The company my husband works for just laid off 2000 employee's nationwide (thank God he wasn't one of them).

All things happen in their own time and you will find a nursing job you love. Stick with and keep trying.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Re: Graduated 2 yrs ago..will I ever get a job?

Gaby,

The good news is that you have a job at the moment, and if all else fails you are building experience and earning a living despite the economic downturn. As hppy suggested, you have nothing to lose by keeping your current job and learning all that you can while there as you continue looking for a hospital job.

When you do apply for hospital jobs are you being flexible about unit, position, and shift, or are you indicating that you're only interested in acute care? Right now you don't have any acute care background so you need to build on the 10 months of patient care experience you have in LTC and express a willingness to take any position, any shift, even the flex pool if they have one in order to get your foot in the door.

Once you can get a position, even part time, and you gain experience and the trust of your co-workers and charge nurse you'll find opportunities more readily available to you. Have you inquired about part-time or flex pool positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
    Gaby,

The good news is that you have a job at the moment, and if all else fails you are building experience and earning a living despite the economic downturn. As hppy suggested, you have nothing to lose by keeping your current job and learning all that you can while there as you continue looking for a hospital job.

When you do apply for hospital jobs are you being flexible about unit, position, and shift, or are you indicating that you're only interested in acute care? Right now you don't have any acute care background so you need to build on the 10 months of patient care experience you have in LTC and express a willingness to take any position, any shift, even the flex pool if they have one in order to get your foot in the door.

Once you can get a position, even part time, and you gain experience and the trust of your co-workers and charge nurse you'll find opportunities more readily available to you. Have you inquired about part-time or flex pool positions?

Thanks for your advice. But I have applied to any available position, when I see them open for nurses with no hospital experience. Most of them say acute care experienced required, even the part time positions. I always list that I am open to Any position, any shift, and time, even part time, or flex time. But it seems that most of the positions for those w/o experience are usually in med-surg, not a specialty floor, and usually not flex time since they have to provide orientation for new grads or those with no hospital experience, which requires full time for a while. At least that's what I've been told. I also know many new grads in my area who have been looking for months. It just seems that alot of hospitals are only hiring experienced nurses now and very few have limited openings for those w/o experience, and there are alot of new grads applying.
    I just think that I will eventually be considered an obsolete new grad, and they will prefer fresh new grads that just graduated. I hope I find something, since I'm open to anything right now, as long as I get hospital experience. But of course, I know that I need the acute care experience in order to be considered for any other positions in the future.

Have you considered CT. Like Greenwich Hospital, Stamford Hospital. They are near Westchester.
    Sorry you are having such a tough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
    Have you considered CT. Like Greenwich Hospital, Stamford Hospital. They are near Westchester.
    Sorry you are having such a tough time.
    No, I haven't yet. But don't I need to apply for a CT RN license? I will look into though, thanks.

Greewich Hospital has a few med surg jobs and a tele. Check the website.
    I would apply for a job first and if you get the job then apply for the license,takes less than 10 days.
    Stamford has icu.
    Give it a shot. Easy commute from Westchester.
    Also, have you looked at White Plains hospital
    Keep us posted..

Quote Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
    Greewich Hospital has a few med surg jobs and a tele. Check the website.
    I would apply for a job first and if you get the job then apply for the license,takes less than 10 days.
    Stamford has icu.
    Give it a shot. Easy commute from Westchester.
    Also, have you looked at White Plains hospital
    Keep us posted..
    I looked at their site, and all the positions require at least 1-2 yrs experience. I'll try anyway, but I know from applying to other hospitals, that they really mean acute care or med-surg, or any hospital based experience, not long term care. I have also gone to career fairs and open houses, and told the same thing. sigh
    I will try the other hospitals. Thanks again.

Gaby,
    Apply at Greenwich,at least you have some experience.. Don't give up.

Gaby, I know exactly how you feel. Family obligations and circumstances have kept me from getting acute care experience in the past, now my age is starting to be a factor. I have applied to just about every hospital around but can't get my foot in the door. The small town hospitals, forget it. They have their own system of hiring who they know and who is related to someone they know. The big city hospitals want them fresh, young and unencumbered. Unfortunately, for a 30-something married mother the big hospitals have their pick of fresh young blood. They don't want some washed up old woman. So, I'm at the nursing home and that is about the only type of work I can get now. It really makes me angry to hear people say the NH doesn't count as experience, because I know and can do A LOT more than I ever could when I was a 'new' nurse years ago. I had one nurse manager snottily inform me that hospitals nurses do a lot more than pass out pills like nursing home nurses. I've about given up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast