Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: ICU nurses pulled to general floors

Sue, we are nurses first. However, my thought is for an example, if I am a Med/Surg nurse and pulled to labor and delivery I would be not only lost but a danger to my patients and my co-workers.

Basic nursing follow us, but, specific skills and procedures are learned through concept and experience.

I agree in part with your last inqury. Simply updating is not the only solution. It may help if a single nurse would be mandated, if you will, to be proficient in at least two areas if pulling is the answer to staffing issues. You think?
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma-RN View Post
    Sue, we are nurses first. However, my thought is for an example, if I am a Med/Surg nurse and pulled to labor and delivery I would be not only lost but a danger to my patients and my co-workers.

Basic nursing follow us, but, specific skills and procedures are learned through concept and experience.

I agree in part with your last inqury. Simply updating is not the only solution. It may help if a single nurse would be mandated, if you will, to be proficient in at least two areas if pulling is the answer to staffing issues. You think?
    In retrospect; Med/Surg nurses don't float to ICU, now do they? ;-)

In otherwords, floating nurses out of their skill set & expertise is poor business practice. Sometimes we (STICU) float to Stepdown units but rarely to a regular med/surg floor.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Yes, it does happen. I have worked at a hospital that pulled Med/Surg nurses to not only ICU but to the ER. True facts.

How are you stranger. Good to see you!
    ER-RN

Proud Grancama!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma-RN View Post
    Yes, it does happen. I have worked at a hospital that pulled Med/Surg nurses to not only ICU but to the ER. True facts.

How are you stranger. Good to see you!
    Seriously? Hate it when my 27 yo step-daughter says that, lol. Anyway...

Don't doubt you've seen such but at what level? BAMC (or SAMMC-N) is level 1 trauma. Therefore, our STICU (Surgical Trauma ICU) had state-of-the-art medical equipment along with critical patients. I'm not talking about MICU (Medical ICU), although don't mean to discredit same. I suppose a seasoned Med/Surg RN with ACLS, Tele experience, etc. could adapt his/her nursing skills in a float situation to ED & maybe ICU.

I've always admired Med/Surg nurses for their time mgmt skills, which involves much more than implies. Every healthcare member within the hospital setting is vital towards a positive patient outcome for discharge. However, for expert medical care on my shoulder I'd prefer an OrthoMD over General Surgeon. Same can be said about a loved one (or self) needing nursing care in the acute critical care environment.

I've been worse but certainly have been much better in the past compared to present. My L Shoulder, after 3 surgeries, has another RTC tear. I'm being looked at (not a quick process) by the Army for medical sep or med retirement d/t nondeployment r/t my recurrent/present L RTC tear.

It has been challenging re-acclimating to critical care setting (STICU) at BAMC... for several reasons; same but different from MAMC ICU, which was back 2007, since 07 done ICU detainee healthcare in Iraq, then 2yr Admin assignment (not Medical Center environment), and majority of staff I work with are cutthroats. BTW, our staff is maybe 60/40 civ/military and most of the friction is from the civ nurses, for whatever reasons.

Grandma, with all due respect---I should clarify my statement a bit. Yes, we are nurses; I understand your comment about Med-Surg nurses being pulled to L&D. I had meant the statement that ICU nurses would probably have an easier time on a regular floor in that they can 'sense' if something isn't 'quite right' or normal. True, the regular staff nurses have that 'sense' also, but.... I hope you understand a bit better where I am coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    Seriously? Hate it when my 27 yo step-daughter says that, lol. Anyway...

Hehe...There are a few saying my children say that leaves me wondering what they mean. Hehe

Don't doubt you've seen such but at what level? BAMC (or SAMMC-N) is level 1 trauma. Therefore, our STICU (Surgical Trauma ICU) had state-of-the-art medical equipment along with critical patients. I'm not talking about MICU (Medical ICU), although don't mean to discredit same. I suppose a seasoned Med/Surg RN with ACLS, Tele experience, etc. could adapt his/her nursing skills in a float situation to ED & maybe ICU.

This particular hospital was a lever 3.

I've always admired Med/Surg nurses for their time mgmt skills, which involves much more than implies. Every healthcare member within the hospital setting is vital towards a positive patient outcome for discharge. However, for expert medical care on my shoulder I'd prefer an OrthoMD over General Surgeon. Same can be said about a loved one (or self) needing nursing care in the acute critical care environment.

I concur.

I've been worse but certainly have been much better in the past compared to present. My L Shoulder, after 3 surgeries, has another RTC tear. I'm being looked at (not a quick process) by the Army for medical sep or med retirement d/t nondeployment r/t my recurrent/present L RTC tear.

I do pray all be well, and of course, continued improvement.

It has been challenging re-acclimating to critical care setting (STICU) at BAMC... for several reasons; same but different from MAMC ICU, which was back 2007, since 07 done ICU detainee healthcare in Iraq, then 2yr Admin assignment (not Medical Center environment), and majority of staff I work with are cutthroats. BTW, our staff is maybe 60/40 civ/military and most of the friction is from the civ nurses, for whatever reasons.

What do you see as your biggest challenge since returning to the unit? I am curious; when a civillian works in a military hospital, are they able to be in management/charge nurse postion?

How is the grandbaby doing? talking.....yet?
    ER-RN

Proud Grancama!

@ GrandmaRN; D/T deployments & frequent PCS (assignment) changes we rely heavily on the civilian nursing staff at BAMC. Our STICU, as well as most others, have Assisitant Head Nurses that are civilians. We have a rotating charge nurse system where one person will be the same CN for 2-4 days in a row, then someone else follows suit. Our CNs can be either civilian or military. The one position I find different at a military hospital is the wardmaster slot. The wardmaster, always military NCO
    (usually an LVN [68WM6] keeps track of all things related to military duties & task required of the military nursing staff. This person is also responsible for medical equipment inventory, and civilian work hours regards to pay, i. e. timesheets.

At BAMC we have Army, Air Force, civilian contract & GS staff, and lot's - lot's - lot's of medical/nursing/allied health/other military & civilian students. One thing good at BAMC is the nursing - MD working relationship, especially on the critical care units. It is like we are an extension of the teaching staff for the MD students. We (RNs) are required to take part in "rounds" for our patient and the HN & CN for the entire unit. We often make "implied suggestions" to the MD R/T our (healthcare team) patient care.

Hope that was not TMI :-)

No, not to much information at all. Thank you. I always wonder how it worked. Knowledge is wonderful and I love learning.
    ER-RN

Proud Grancama!

All right, where is my post to Sue. It stated, in part, that I kind of think we were say similar things, Sue.
    ER-RN

Proud Grancama!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011