Thread: Nursing as a 40-something career change?

Nursing as a 40-something career change?

So happy to have found this forum!

At 43, I'm seriously considering a career change into nursing. I've been working my whole adult life as a software engineer; I have a 4-year B.S. engineering degree.

I've gotten to the point now where the 6-figure money simply is no longer a meaningful reward for work that I absolutely loathe. There is no security in this field anymore either and I just can't see myself doing this for my next 25 years.

My wife is a hospital lab tech and has currently returned to school to finish her nursing degree, so thanks to her, at least I am not completely ignorant of what is involved here. She is completely supportive of my desire for a career change into health care.

Realistically, it will likely be another 2 or 3 years before I can actually start a nursing school program in earnest. My wife needs to finish first, and we have to finish adjusting our lifestyle so we're not dependent on my high-tech salary. I will likely take a CNA course soon and work in this capacity to get direct patient care experience before and during school.

So... any thoughts on a 46-year-old (by the time I start) former computer geek becoming an RN? I personally do not see my age (I'm in good shape) or Y-chromosome as a hindrance; I'm just wondering if it is, and hoping it is not, kind of late in life to be trying this.

How hard it is for a middle-aged guy to get into a nursing program, or to land a job afterwards as a new nurse?

Wink Re: Nursing as a 40-something career change?

Hi, Im 30 but I can say that it's great that have moved forward. All I can say is that forty is the beginning for some and definitely expect great things to happen. I have a former colleague and because she liked to be a nurse even though she is 54, she still pursued a nursing degree. She took the boards for 1 time only and is now working in the United states and has successfully passed her nursing exam. Age doesn't matter, it is your will that dies and becomes old. :google-nurse:

Ricu

Re: Nursing as a 40-something career change?

Hi Dave,

While I'm always glad to hear from anyone interested in nursing, I take special delight in reading about people choosing nursing as a second (or more) career. It might be because I went into nursing from another career, too. It's been my experience that "adult" students usually hit the deck running and rarely have trouble desensitizing when they begin their clinical training. After school, they generally take less time to adjust to managing worklife in the field and in no time, become excellent mentors. Working as a CNA will give you great fundamental experience in patient care as well as a jump start into school because many programs are requiring it.

Keep us posted and, good luck.

R

By the way, both your Y chromosome and computer experience will be welcome.

Ricu

Hi Dave,

While I'm always glad to hear from anyone interested in nursing, I take special delight to read about people choosing nursing as a second (or more) career. It might be because I went into nursing from another career. It's been my experience that "adult" students usually hit the deck running and rarely have trouble desensitizing when they begin their clinical training. After school, they generally take less time to adjust to managing worklife in the field, too. Working as a CNA will give you excellent experience in patient care and will give you a jump start because many nursing schools are requiring it.

Keep us posted and, good luck.

R

By the way, both your Y chromosome and computer experience will be welcome.

Cool Re: Nursing as a 40-something career change?

I was in nursing school at 43 and lots of my fellow students were in their 40s. No problem whatsoever. You can do this if you want to. Good luck.

Hey man

Go for it! I did, and have loved it for the last four years since graduation. I was in my late 30's when I got accepted into nursing school. Many instructors love to have "non-traditional students". We tend to be more committed, work harder, and provide real-life experience to the learning arena. Employers like someone who has a dependable work record behind them. There are some fields in nursing to which your computer expertise could give you a huge advantage.

You will want to wade right in to the prerequisites ASAP. You can do a couple of classes a semester until you get to the point where you will be ready to start the nursing program. Check with a college advisor on what the prereqs will be for the school of your choice. A few of the prereqs can be taken online and save you a bit of time.

Go bananas with it, man! :banana:

Tex