Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing In Ireland

Re: Nursing In Ireland

Hiya Folks,
    I'm a US RN who has been living and working in Scotland, UK since July 1999. First thing you would need to do is get licensed with the UK's governing body that licenses nurses. It is called the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Homepage is www.nmc-uk.org. You will have to keep up your US license as that has to stay current in order to keep your UK one current so its two sets of fees and education requirements.
    Next you need to find a hospital that is willing to sponsor you for a work permit.. I know that there are agencies that can help with finding this.. As i got my first post here in Scotland with a agency that has since gone under and they were very helpful with getting things set up with the hospital. I actually did a phone interview and then combined a holiday with a interview. Was accepted and then had to wait for the work permit to go through.
    What i did was got my NMC licensure done before i even started contacting agencies as without that you can't work.
    That in a nutshell is how to go about it.
    Kaylesh

Anonymous

Re: Nursing In Ireland

I am a travel nurse.. My "tax" state is Maine. I have a condo there, a doctor, my car is registered there, I pay local property taxes there. I paid over 4k last year in state income taxes. Maine is a compact state meaning I can work in 16 other states on my Maine license. One of them being NC where I am currently working..

Therefore, I have chosen TN to move to and change my residency to there.. It is a non state income tax state and compact state..Now Alaska has no state income tax but is not a compact state..

Right now I have 19 licenses.. CA,CT and Maine... Maine is one of 17 compact states.. Clear as mud,,,

WR,,, three commas for Becca

When a travel nurse travels they need to maintain a "tax home" so that travel expenses are deductiable (sp) . In other words I am working "away" from my tax home and can deduct Meals, Incidentals and Expenses on my taxes and my housing costs are not taxed....You know you have to jump through hoops to satisfy the IRS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12