Thread: School decisions...

School decisions...

Hello there!!

So I am a beginner in the world of nursing, but I've got a bit of a rock and a hard place...

I was planning on taking courses while still working at my current job. They are very understanding about scheduling, and it paid pretty well, so it seemed perfect. Unfortunently, I have a job specific injury, and that's no longer an option.

My long-term goal was to be either a nurse practitioner or a traveling nurse, and I had planned to make my decision as I got more into my schooling and got a better handle on what was involved in both.

I realize no one can make any decisions, but any advice on a faster route in school?? Or even the type of job I can apply for now? I learn faster hands-on, but I'm not anywhere near ready for something of that nature. My local hospital network isn't hiring for so much as call desk...

Any input would be appreciated!! thank you!!

Re: School decisions...

I guess it would depend on what type of job you were previously doing and what type of injury you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C. View Post
    I guess it would depend on what type of job you were previously doing and what type of injury you have.
    Agree! We need more data.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Post Re: School decisions...

Probably can't help you with a faster route in school. There are at least two reasons. You have to keep a schedule that will allow you to get the best grades possible, you can't overload yourself. People with perfect GPA's don't always get accepted. And most schools are not just a walk-in once you've completed prerequisite courses. Some schools reject highly qualified applicants, or there are waiting lists that are years long, or a lottery where your name does not get picked. You need to factor in an expected delay in finding a program for you. As for your situation, you will have to make accommodations for working and/or that injury that you sustained. Will you get a doctor's clearance to enter nursing school or do nursing at all? For most jobs in nursing, even the desk jobs, there is a requirement that one does some amount of floor nursing in the beginning for experience. Would advise you to see an advisor in the nursing department of your nearest school to explore your options.

I've been a dog groomer for ten years. I have recurring ganglian cysts in my wrist. I specialized in fine scissor work, so the hours of repetitive motion in my thumb is what's out of the question now. I've had a few surgeries for it, but the suckers keeps coming back. I've purposely been typing and writing to see if anything of that sort bothers it, but so far it's just shear work.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression I wanted a short cut in school; that wasn't my intention. My counselors have been less than helpful so far, and I just hoping not to take any unnecessary course work. Maybe instead of faster, I should have said efficient. I don't know if there is a lot of overlap in training, and I want to focus on my goal.

Of course, now that I've wasted your time with this, maybe it's just too early in my schooling to be worried about that quite yet. I'm the type of person that likes to get going and get it done as quickly as my best will allow... but a complete career change doesn't allow for both, eh??

Thank you all for taking an interest, though. I know where I'll be coming if any of the classes get baffling

Good Night!!
    :nurse-bed:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: School decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Airen View Post
    I've been a dog groomer for ten years. I have recurring ganglian cysts in my wrist. I specialized in fine scissor work, so the hours of repetitive motion in my thumb is what's out of the question now. I've had a few surgeries for it, but the suckers keeps coming back. I've purposely been typing and writing to see if anything of that sort bothers it, but so far it's just shear work.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression I wanted a short cut in school; that wasn't my intention. My counselors have been less than helpful so far, and I just hoping not to take any unnecessary course work. Maybe instead of faster, I should have said efficient. I don't know if there is a lot of overlap in training, and I want to focus on my goal.

Of course, now that I've wasted your time with this, maybe it's just too early in my schooling to be worried about that quite yet. I'm the type of person that likes to get going and get it done as quickly as my best will allow... but a complete career change doesn't allow for both, eh??

Thank you all for taking an interest, though. I know where I'll be coming if any of the classes get baffling

Good Night!!
    :nurse-bed:
    I don't think you wasted anyone's time and it's not unusual to want to fast track your way through a degree program the problem is in nurseing you need all that info you get in prerec's. I went to nursing school as a second career and coincidently I was a dog groomer as well. I took my prerecs one at a time at night ( It goes faster than you think) worked answering phones and telemarketing (UGH) during the day. Once nursing school started I was at it full time - thanks to my hard working husband. The actualy two year RN program went pretty quick even though I had a baby during that time and took a semester off.

You just have to decide that this is something you have to do because a Nurse practioner is an advanced practice degree (Masters) and there really are no short cuts to get there.

Good Luck

HPPY