Thread: medic to RN to military?

medic to RN to military?

Hello! I'm not an RN yet but have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts. I am a retired firefighter and a paramedic. Still work as a medic part time but want to get my RN next. I have been considering working as a military RN afterwards but it seems doubtful they would alow me in due to my 44 years! Any advice as how to go about trying to get through the red tape? If it's possible, I'll probably go for it. I know it sounds crazy. Thanks for any help!!!!

Wink Re: medic to RN to military?

:60: Welcome to the site. Certain that I've read that the max age has been pushed up lately. You should have no problems as long as you get licensed soon. We have a military forum here that you should find interesting and SoldierNurse can help you out with info.

Re: medic to RN to military?

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMom View Post
    Hello! I'm not an RN yet but have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts. I am a retired firefighter and a paramedic. Still work as a medic part time but want to get my RN next. I have been considering working as a military RN afterwards but it seems doubtful they would alow me in due to my 44 years! Any advice as how to go about trying to get through the red tape? If it's possible, I'll probably go for it. I know it sounds crazy. Thanks for any help!!!!
    The age cut off for Army Nurse Corps officer entry is 46 years old.

Please, start new thread in Military Forum section if you have more questions. Thanks.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Welcome MedicMom. It is good to see another Paramedic on the site.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Hello Medicmom,

Chances may be slim of a nursing career in the military.

However, once you're a nurse and out there practicing, you'll find tons of opportunities and types of nursing to choose from.

I'd think over why you're interested in the military. Chances are you can find something similar in the private/public sector if the military option doesn't pan out for you.

Have you been to http://www.discovernursing.com ? It highlights some of the career paths nurses have taken.

Best of luck,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Exclamation Re: medic to RN to military?

Quote Originally Posted by nursinghumor View Post
    Hello Medicmom,

Chances may be slim of a nursing career in the military.

However, once you're a nurse and out there practicing, you'll find tons of opportunities and types of nursing to choose from.

I'd think over why you're interested in the military. Chances are you can find something similar in the private/public sector if the military option doesn't pan out for you.

Have you been to Discover Nursing ? It highlights some of the career paths nurses have taken.

Best of luck,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly.com, A National Nursing & Consumer Health Directory
    Excuse me? What is wrong with wanting to serve in the military, and better yet to serve as a nurse officer? Maybe she is interested in the Army Nurse Corps just because she loves this country, those willing to serve in harms way, and wants to give back by joining the team.

There is nothing wrong with her wanting to serve in the military at all.

However as you posted, at 44 years old starting nursing school, with a cut-off of 46 in the Army Nurse Corps, her age might disqualify her from that option.

I'd still encourage her to look into nursing as a career. It has plenty to offer for someone seeking a second career. It is in a growth industry and will be for a long time to come.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Quote Originally Posted by nursinghumor View Post
    There is nothing wrong with her wanting to serve in the military at all.

However as you posted, at 44 years old starting nursing school, with a cut-off of 46 in the Army Nurse Corps, her age might disqualify her from that option.

I'd still encourage her to look into nursing as a career. It has plenty to offer for someone seeking a second career. It is in a growth industry and will be for a long time to come.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nursefriendly.com, A National Nursing & Consumer Health Directory
    I admire all those that serve & appreciate those that even consider standing beside me in formation.