Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your specailty

Re: What is your specailty

CVOR is it for me! I have been an ORT for 4 years and am now a first year nursing student. I have been on the open heart team for the last 1.5 years and love it. I was the first non-RN they accepted on the team, so I suppose I feel special?? Or stupid?? <g> Anyone else out there scrub CABG's before being an RN?

Anonymous

Nope.. I wish sometimes I could do that but I hate blood...Wait what am I saying I do hemodialysis..But that's different..We keep it pretty much contained..

So tell us more..But don't get too gorrie ( sp)...

WR,,, three commas for Becca

There in the usual blood from the initial dissection of tissues/sternotomy, and during cannulation (if you are doing an on-pump case) there is a lot of blood when you puncture the aorta to insert the aortic cannula. The venous cannulation is fairly bloody, but retrograde and antegrade aren't so bad. Once you are on bypass and the heart is arrested, there isn't much blood. But, while making the pericardial well, there is always a chance of hitting the annominate vein and having so much blood fill the field it takes 3 separate wall suckers get a clear field of vision before your surgeon can get control. Or, if you need to emergently put in a balloon pump and perf the femoral artery and bleed out in the belly, then there is a lot of blood! So, hemodialysis doesn't sound so bad, eh?

Anonymous

Not at all....I never liked the OR.. I don't watch it on TV and I don't even watch someone put in an IV on TV..I can watch another nurse but not TV...

Nope I'll be staying out of the OR...But glad you love it..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

don't they use that little spider thingy now when doing a bypass?

When I watched during my OR rotation, there was no blood at all. They just clipped it right in there (one end only of course).

What exacly did you see? Maybe they were already on bypass and the heart was arrested? If that's the case, then it is pretty controlled. If it was an off-pump case, then the grafts are done on a beating heart and there is blood but it's controlled with shunts on the distal anastamosis, and a heart string or partial occluding clamp is used on the aorta for the proximal anastamosis. The use of cell saver and a pump sucker help keep blood loss to a minimum and can give the blood back to the patient. If all goes as planned, it is a very controlled procedure. It's only when you get into trouble that your patient can bleed out in a matter of seconds.

ER full-time for 7 years then took a management position in a skilled LTC facility (what was I thinking?!?!?) back to ER and now I work on a clinical trial for a pharmaceutical company and PRN in the ER and Nuclear Medicine.

I'm in Out Patient Medical Oncology and have been for 17 years. We do a lot of patient/family education while they are receiving their chemo treatments. also do phone triage and weekends on call to help patients get through their rigerous chemo treatments. We're having lots of trouble getting nurses in our area. could any of you give me a reason for this?

I am a geriatric nurse in a LTC setting. I did work for 9 months in Acute Care in our local hospital. I didn't like it, only because you never get to "know" your patient. Anymore they go home so soon....In LTC, you get to know your resident and their family fairly well. I love them all from the sweet ones to the crabby ones. The most trouble I have is with the administration!!! If SHE worked the floor, instead of dreaming up things, everyone would be better off.

Member Extraordinaire

I'm in OB/GYN at our hospital we rotate between L&D and postpartum/gyn. I usually do 5 days L&D to 1 of Postpartum in a 2 week period. We do vag deliveries and circulate of c-sections, tubals, D&C and cercalages. In post partum we also have the undelivered moms there for whatever reason, the post partums and all the inpatient gyn surgery. I've been in peds before for 5 years and home health seeing about every type of patient but I saw all of the babies/kids our agency had did that for 4 years now in L&D where I wanted to be. Now I"m looking into traveling next year in L&D. I've been with the same hospital since 1992.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast