Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your specailty

Re: What is your specailty

I have worked as an LPN in the "Women's Center" of our hospital taking care of just about anything a woman can go thru. I truly enjoy the mom's and baby's, but recently in clinical for the ADN program I'm in, I got to go on a home visit for a mom/baby check-up. It was interesting to see what kind of environment they lived in once they left the hospital. I think I might like to do that when I graduate. I like to interact with the patients and teach all I know to help them have all the knowledge they need to provide a good life for their babies. So I guess I'll find my "niche" in life eventually and do something I enjoy!

Right now i'm working at county hospital, inpatient psych, i'm an lvn...been there for only 3 mos. before that i worked in detention, juvenile hall i've been an lvn for over 17 years, worked as: s staff nurse, permanent night shift, pulmonary inpatient ward, VAMedicalCenter, for 6 years, medical clinic, urgent care, and "flexi-nurse" @ Kaiser, registry nurse, working pm shift, med-surg, at Highland Hospital (Alameda County), in Oakland, CA....i could really use some input from experienced psych nurses

Now: chronic dialysis

Used to be inpt hospice.

i'm a sicu nurse at a large level 1 hospital in boston. at first i was extremely excited, the lights whistles and bells, but quickly it hit me that i was being paid to wash corpses. we have a lot of patients who probably should have died last week on vents, antibiotics, cvvh , you name it. i always wondered why in our christian-judeo society where we preach from every mountain top the beauty of the afterlife, the pearly gates, angels with harps, why we are reluctant to let go in the end. it's a crime how much time money and effort is expended on the those we haven't got a snowball chance in you know where to save, yet millions go hungry, without proper vaccination or shelter. but i digress....

I don't really know, my mom told me I was special but kinda left it at that.

Seriously though I am in my last year of School, I finish in May and when I am done will be putting all my effort into cardiac nursing. I have had 5 placements on a cardiac floor now, and have enjoyed it leaps and bounds above everything else.

I love long-term care. Never really wanted to do any thing else. I've been a nurse for 5 years, 3 years as a Charge RN for a Skilled Medicare Unit and 2 years as an Assistant Director of Nursing for the same facility. It is tragic, rewarding, frustrating, stressful from minute to minute. One thing I think we should do in our screening process for admissions is have access to the entire family. We seem to do a great job of meeting the needs of the patient, but some of them have such "whacko" family members that it would be nice to have a firearm.
    Anyway, gotta love the seniors. They have so much to offer. Try it, you'll like it!!!!

Since graduation in June of 2002, I have worked on a telemetry unit with occasional float days to ICU and a few rare float days to Med/Surg. Although I have been told that I am "totally crazy" for staying on the floor that I am on (know to some as the "portal of hell" because of its hectic pace), I like telemetry very much and want to continue my education in cardiac nursing.

Anonymous

Chronic hemodialysis.. My niche. Love the hours... Either 4 on 1 off 4 on 5 off. Or Wed Fri Sat on Sun off Mon Tues Thus on with FRI SAT SUN MON TUES off every other weekend.

I love the techie part of dialysis .. Setting up machines, sticking people, troubleshooting accesses, putting out "fires" nephrologists and bonding with a fairly stable group of people.

No floating, new admissions now and then but not all day. I know my patients well and can manage their care.. Starting a very sick scared patient and watching them "bloom" in 6 to 8 weeks is rewarding. I can be a mother sometimes and scold them a little..I think they like it sometimes.LOLL

Yep that's my niche Chronic hemodialysis..Traveling making $35/hr ...Can't beat it...

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Cardiovascular , Operating Room, Vascular, Neuro and I dibble in Plastics which is always fun. Traveling and International travel as well. I love seeing whats new out there and meeting many along the way.
    Z

I've been critical care for the past 25 years (first 2 out of school were in med-surg). I like CC for a number of reasons...the main one being autonimy. We have a lot more say in the patiens care and consulting with physicians than med-surg does.
    also have enjoyed the intensity. However, as my career progresses, I'm begining to wind down!

I'm currently in a NP family practice program. looking forward to the change.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast