Thread: i want to join!

i want to join!

I am new to untimate nurse, and new to military nursing. I will be graduating in May with my BSN and am VERY interested in pursuing a career in the military. I have been in contact with Army, Navy and Air Force, but am leaning towards Army. I have met with recruiters and am beginning the process of filling out the 33-page application and setting up dates for my medical clearence, etc.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone may be able to help answer.

First, I am diagnosed with Major Depression and not officially diagnosed with PTSD though some of my providers have used that Dx in their documentation. I am on medication (but want to try tapering off) and have been in counseling. My recruiter has indicated that this may be a big hurdle. I am working to get together ALL of my medical records, and am asking my providers to write up a summary of my treatment course and their evaluation of my current state.

My question is this; how big of a hurdle will this be? As I have said, I REALLY want to be an Army nurse, and want to do everything possible to make this happen. Is there anything else I could be doing in regards to this, or is it all out of my hands at this point?

Thank you for any insight or guidance.
    -Wren

Re: i want to join!

Quote Originally Posted by wrenRN View Post
    I am new to untimate nurse, and new to military nursing. I will be graduating in May with my BSN and am VERY interested in pursuing a career in the military. I have been in contact with Army, Navy and Air Force, but am leaning towards Army. I have met with recruiters and am beginning the process of filling out the 33-page application and setting up dates for my medical clearence, etc.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone may be able to help answer.

First, I am diagnosed with Major Depression and not officially diagnosed with PTSD though some of my providers have used that Dx in their documentation. I am on medication (but want to try tapering off) and have been in counseling. My recruiter has indicated that this may be a big hurdle. I am working to get together ALL of my medical records, and am asking my providers to write up a summary of my treatment course and their evaluation of my current state.

My question is this; how big of a hurdle will this be? As I have said, I REALLY want to be an Army nurse, and want to do everything possible to make this happen. Is there anything else I could be doing in regards to this, or is it all out of my hands at this point?

Thank you for any insight or guidance.
    -Wren
    I was deployed for 15 months in Iraq. Among the many complex moods many of us experienced was depression. IMHO, you may be making a mistake, since your most likely suspect to depression.

... just my 2 cents
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Do what you want, you don't know till you try.
    It's okay to look back, just don't stare.

When it comes to medical issues, most people are wise to be very careful what they disclose prior to entry on active duty. Also, many people on active duty will go to the trouble to seek civilian care at their own expense to circumvent negative consequences to their career. You will need to be able to obtain a security clearance as an officer. I used to work with security clearances, and saw many people get into trouble with their security clearances due to psychiatric problems, both real and "made up". In some instances, lack of appropriate security clearance = lack of military career. Unfortunately, there are those in supervisory positions in the military who will use the psych eval to cause problems for a subordinate, to include getting dismissed from the service. So you would be wise to be aware of this going in.

Question Re: i want to join!

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    When it comes to medical issues, most people are wise to be very careful what they disclose prior to entry on active duty. Also, many people on active duty will go to the trouble to seek civilian care at their own expense to circumvent negative consequences to their career. You will need to be able to obtain a security clearance as an officer. I used to work with security clearances, and saw many people get into trouble with their security clearances due to psychiatric problems, both real and "made up". In some instances, lack of appropriate security clearance = lack of military career. Unfortunately, there are those in supervisory positions in the military who will use the psych eval to cause problems for a subordinate, to include getting dismissed from the service. So you would be wise to be aware of this going in.
    What is your military background?

Cool Re: i want to join!

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    What is your military background?
    I retired after 20 years in the US Army.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    I was deployed for 15 months in Iraq. Among the many complex moods many of us experienced was depression. IMHO, you may be making a mistake, since your most likely suspect to depression.

... just my 2 cents
    I'm not on active duty, but I am a proud Army Spouse and FRG Leader at our WTU (Warrior Transition Unit, some people say Wounded Warriors). I have seen quite a few things and hubby has been deployed twice.

I agree with Soldier Nurse, think hard about it. Deployments do a lot to you. Did you ever think of working in an Army Hospital as Nurse? It's not exactly the same thing, but its minus the deployments.

I retired after 20 years in the US Army.
    Outstanding! MOS or AOC?

Cool Re: i want to join!

I was in telecommunications, back then it was MOS 72G. Always had aspirations to be an Army nurse but got growing pains in school and changed course. After that every time I tried to reenlist for the medical field it would be closed to women at the right time so I stayed with telecommunications. Picked up with nursing again after retiring. I think everyone who thinks about joining the service should have people to talk to who have been through it and can advise on some of the behind the scenes happenings.

I was in telecommunications, back then it was MOS 72G. Always had aspirations to be an Army nurse but got growing pains in school and changed course. After that every time I tried to reenlist for the medical field it would be closed to women at the right time so I stayed with telecommunications. Picked up with nursing again after retiring. I think everyone who thinks about joining the service should have people to talk to who have been through it and can advise on some of the behind the scenes happenings.
    Agreed, and that is why I like to share my personal experiences as an Army Nurse Corps Officer with those here with possible interest in the ANC.