Thread: Ready to Travel!

Ready to Travel!

I have seen the ads on the internet, TV, and magazines. I have talked with recruiters. Now I am ready to travel!! I have registered and even applied for a nursing license in 2 other states. I have filled out applications and skills check lists. I have furnished references. My experience is in OB (14+ years in all areas except NICU), and management. I have an MSN in leadership and management with 3 years experience as a manager and now they say there are no jobs???? The ads are still there and the jobs are still posted on the internet. I am working with several companies that I know have been around a while. Right now, however, I will go to the highest bidder!!!! I know the pay might not be as good as was last year, but I am ready for a new challenge and cannot find it in northeastern Ohio. NO ONE is hiring here!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ready to Travel!

The travel business is pretty dried up right now, especially in the Midwest. Less jobs means more competition for the existing jobs, and hospitals are more likely to hire a traveler who has had travel experience. Now is not the greatest time to become a first-time traveler.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I understand what you are saying. It is rough all over. This just seems to be a good time for me to try out some nursing options. I just completed my MSN in Nursing Leadership and Management and I have a broad background in OB as well med-surg and house flt. There are still a lot of travel nurse positions posted, and recruiters continue to reassure me that if you are flexible in the position you will accept there are jobs. They might not be paying as much as a few months ago, but nothing is. Our union nurses just agreed to concessions! All management has taken pay cuts and/or freezes. I am not looking for a gold mine and I am willing to work and be flexible. Thank you for keeping my feet on the ground. I am optimistic that things will begin to turn around soon!

Member Extraordinaire

Word is that things will improve near the end of the year, that there will be more assignments available then, but time will tell.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Amanda, you just took the words right out of my mouth. The recruiter who is trying to place me in IN told me that jobs are scarce, but it should improve within the next 6 months. I have also been told that my specialty, Mother/Baby, Newborn Nursery and Postpartum are hard to land. I did my time in L&D and I don't want to do that, but I have noticed that there are several positions in L&D.