Thread: New to Traveling

New to Traveling

Hi. I just stumbled upon this wonderful site. I have been a nurse for three years, and I was planning on trying travel nursing with my family this summer. I don't know any travelers, so I am a little lost. I have talked to Nurses Choice, Medical Express, TNS, and American Mobile. AM seemed to be the company that was the most patient and helpful. They also have the most pediatric jobs to choose from and the best pay. Upon reading the forums here, I am worried about going with that company now, as their reviews have been so horrible. I need the company with the best pay b/c my husband was laid off and we have many bills and two girls, and I need the company that is the most helpful because this is all new to me and leaving my full time job in this economy is terrifying. Help Please.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: New to Traveling

Right now is not the best time to start traveling, due to the economy- there are significantly less assignments, so there is a LOT of competition for the available assignments- with that competition, hospitals usually have several travelers to choose from, and they will usually choose travelers who have the most experience with both traveling and in their specialty. And traveling with severe financial difficulties right now could be disastrous. Any time you travel, you should have a "cushion" of savings for unexpected expenses, but in these times, with hospitals on hiring freezes, have you considered what will happen if you can't get an assignment, an assignment gets cancelled early, or you don't like traveling? You may have a hard time finding another permanent position. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but currently, traveling is not paying what it used to, and I'd hate to see you set yourself up for financial failure.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Well, I have to tell you that travel nurse recruiters have been calling me for years. Now I am ready to travel and they say they do not have anything in OB. I do L&D, PP, Normal Newborn, and SCN! I have 14+ years experience in the field. On top of that I have my MSN in Leadership & Management with 3 years management experience!! What gives??? :nurse-closed: I see jobs all over the internet! I am all revvvvved up and apparently with no place to go!!

As for the company you have chosen, I cannot speak to. I am not familiar with them. I am currently talking with recruiters from NursesRx, Access Nurses, and American Mobile.

Member Extraordinaire

Yeah, it's hard enough for experienced travelers to find jobs, so for first-time travelers, especially in a specialty like OB, the jobs are extremely scarce. Not the greatest time to become a first-time traveler.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen