Thread: Help! Other ways from LVN to RN?

Help! Other ways from LVN to RN?

****o!
    I started out as an Air Force corpsman and I was in for 8 years. I voluntered for as much extra education as I could (pharmacy, suturing, ACLS, etc.) and was certified in everything. I was given certificates for all. I need not tell you if anyone did military duty in the medical corps as I did that you are allowed to do many things that only an RN in the civilian world is allowed to do. When I got out I worked in various clinics and because of my skills I did a lot of work under the doctors licenses as they utilized all I had to offer. I decided to get my nursing license so I gave all my military paperwork and certification to the California LVN board and they authorized me to test. The test took me about 40 minutes and 3 weeks later I had my license.
    Here is my delema. I work in clinical research now with a base pay of about $65,000 a year - this is before bonuses. Knowing the nature of research, I thought it would be a good idea to get my RN should I ever need to change fields. I have checked with 3 colleges in my area and given them all my paperwork and they all said the same thing - I have to have at least a year of classes that are held in hospitals during the day shift when all departments are open. I work in hospitals now doing clinical research and I'm more than familiar with their workings. I've been working in the capacity of an RN for more than 20 years and have been licensed for the past 4. What has been presented to me is - I have to quit my nursing job to go to school and become a nurse! There appears to be no flexibility here. No one will let me do anything in the evening or by internet. It's day classes or nothing! I can't believe there's no other way to obtain my RN in the state of California. What galls me to death though is the attitude of the older female nurses at the colleges I have spoken to that take clear pleasure in my problem. The last college I talked to, their nursing director said to me "Gosh, it must be awfull for you (tilt head to the side, gleam in eye) to think you were superman with all your illeagle skills and now find out that you're basically a nobody." ... I was less than pleased...
    I have a friend that teaches NCLEX classes and she gave me an informal test. She informed me that I could take the RN boards today and pass, but I'm not alowed to test.
    Does anyone have any information that could help?
    Thanks for reading this!

Stephen L. Ingalls, LVN

Just one perspective.

What I am mentioning is not for everyone. But you did say you served in the military.

I have been in the Army Nurse Corps for almost eight years. What I do know about the Army is that they will sponsor your education at an accreditted BSN program. They may want you to take an Army ROTC Scholarship in the process but I don't think that would be necessary if you have a GI Bill. If the BSN Program does not have an Army ROTC Program then they will sponsor you through a program similar but you do not have to go through the ROTC BS. They will have you take a direct commision for whatever time is required by the program. Usually it is one for one for active duty. But beware. I think just like your original enlistment there may be the IRR (Irregular Ready Reserves) catch. I don't know if they will count your original IRR time once you left Active duty with the USAF. The good thing is that both these programs pay for like 80-100% of your tuition depending if you go into a private school or state school along with books, a small stipend among other things. The ROTC program requires that you attend their class once a week along with their training once a week usually on the same day. Contracted "Cadets" (I'm sure you love that title) have to attend Physical Training three times a week, take and pass a diagnostic and formal PT test every three months during the school year and attend an advanced leadership course between their Junior and Senior years and pass with no problems. I'm sure the other services have similar programs but I am not familiar with them but it is good to ask around. Once you graduate you will be commissioned a 2nd LT (I'm sure you love that title even more).

Just a thought if you still like the military, salute the flag, applepie thing. You will make more money in Cali probably though and through other programs. But money isn't everything for some people though. You will most likely be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan among other international vacation packages the military offers. Just something I coughed up for you to chew on. Sounds disgusting doesn't it?