I just drove 2k miles for what seemed to be a decent job at a magnet hospital. Most of my experience is from a large top ten rated heart hospital. With a few exceptions, the staff is quite hostile from the start. My "preceptor" (younger, maybe half of my experience)was a rager whose idea of precepting was throwing constant bits of barely related trivia at me or querying me like I was a suspect on a "Law and Order" show. This woman was just plain nuts and mean to patients. Then she started making demeaning comments about my intelligence (I joined Mensa 1.5 years ago). She also managed to give me crashing patients 3 nights in a row. And I'm not some young nurse, either, so I usually don't get pushed around. I've been doing this 20 years at some of the worse hell-holes in my home city. It was a set-up for failure. I quit after 5 days realizing that life is just too short. Then the nurse manager unsuccessfully tries to not pay me my last 2 shifts. What are these people's thought processes? If any.