Thread: You can learn a lot from a dummy

You can learn a lot from a dummy

Fri, May 27, 2005: Oregon: You can learn a lot from a dummy:"A recent night found first-year Providence Portland nurse David Walker struggling to keep a confused and agitated patient in bed, and closely monitoring a cancer patient receiving five units of blood. Yet another patient fighting cancer deteriorated quickly as his kidneys and lungs failed. Walker thrives on the challenge, and he says, at 41, in a third career, he's not afraid to ask for help. "Coming from business, it's just amazing how much a nurse has to do that goes unrewarded … how many details there are. You can't make a mistake," Walker says."
    http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=30073

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Re: You can learn a lot from a dummy

YOU might be OLD SCHOOL if:

you think this patient simulation dummy is a load of crap. Get out there and learn on real people like the rest of us. Night after night until you can't take it anymore. Then go out and do it some more.

Hey, If they're going to get nervous, screw-up, forget things and make mistakes, better it happen on a dummy (at least initially).

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Member Extraordinaire

[ QUOTE ]
    nursinghumor said:
    Hey, If they're going to get nervous, screw-up, forget things and make mistakes, better it happen on a dummy (at least initially).

Andrew Lopez, RN

I had a very scary call from one of the nurses on the medical floor on Thursday...me...hello may I help you? She..yes I'm calling you (L&D) because I know you have more experience with epidurals...I have a pt with an epidural and the doc has written an order for a PCA also. Me..ok. Her..well there is what looks like nitro tube taped to their back...me that's the epidural. Her well I can't find a port to hook the PCA to. ME NO>>> don't hook anything to the epidural Her well it's doesn't specify where to hook the PCA...ME never hook anything to the epidural. Now if I was not so bight but I am creative I could have gotten an extension, flushed it hooked it to the epidural then have an extra port to hook the PCA into. I had also had to find the epidural policy on Tuesday for that unit because they couldn't find it and the house supervisor called and asked me to fax them a copy ...it's in the general policy book under medications every unit has the same policy book. Guess someone needs to read the policy book to at least get some idea of what policies are out there then read 1 a day. I was in shock...told my co-worker about it (she and I were on a surgical unit years ago together she still works there and ICU prn) she said guess we'll be hearing the rrrrrrrr (code blue siren) going of for medical soon.