Thread: Career Change at Age 50

Career Change at Age 50

I'm contemplating a career change to nursing. I will turn 50 next week.

I had been in corporate accounting for about 25 years. My company closed its business last year, and I was preparing for a career as a financial planner. I have a B.S. in Accounting and an MBA degree. I also am a Certified Fraud Examiner, and I passed the Certified Financial Planner exam last November. At this point in time, I think I may be tired of working with numbers and am looking for something that would be completely different.

I still feel very young at heart, and have an attitude that it's never to late to attempt something like this. However, I want to be practical, too.

Any advice on how easy it would be to get a nursing job, the best kind of nursing education to get given my background, etc. would be appreciated. I live in Greensburg, PA which is southeast of Pittsburgh. Thanks for any advice that can be provided!

Re: Career Change at Age 50

Going into Nursing would be something completely different for sure

I'd decide first what your reasons for choosing nursing were. If helping people is something you want to do, if you're willing to do the grunt work of nursing and are not necessarily looking to get rich, it may be for you.

Nursing is similar to plumbing. You work physically/strenuously for your money, you get paid relatively well for your work, and you get down on your hands/knees and stick your hands in some dark smelly places that most people don't want to know about.

School-wise, I'd look for either a one year accelerated program or two year associates degree (ADN) program. A four year BSN will also qualify you to sit for the NCLEX license. All options will get you working once licensed.

You're not necessarily paid more for a Four Year BSN vs a Two Year ADN program.

With a catastrophic nursing shortage on the horizon, job security is a given.

I'd talk to a few nurses, read all you can, ask about working conditions. These articles may be helpful.

Nurses Views of The Nursing Profession:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views/

Hope that helps.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Re: Career Change at Age 50

I'm kind in the same boat as you are. I'm a few years younger than you that's all. I also come from a different background altogether and sometimes wonder if this is really for me. More and more I think this is for me. I think that you must find an affinity with nursing, and that has something to do with being of service to other people. That is working with people on a personal level, helping out and being a humanitarian person. When we hit this age as males, I think is a whole different ball game and we are being expelled from certain jobs and society's needs and the profession of a nurturer fits well and it might give a whole new sence in life...and than, there is the other part called jobs and money...that helps, but I rather not look at just that part alone. Hope this helps

Take care