Thread: Change of career

Change of career

Let me start by saying that I truly hate my current job. I am with United Parcel Service and I simply am going crazy with the day in and out non-sense. They have raised the cost of health care and reduced the stock bonus as well as raised all the goals for everything. i live in NYC and I make enough to put some away while enjoying myself- for the most part. I have family in nursing and they seem very happy with it. I am really interested in becoming a nurse and my question to the forum is: how do i become an LPN? there are tons of online schools that I simply don't trust. Next is do any LPN offer assistance to become an RN? A change of career will be a pay-cut for sure- at least to start- is nursing a rewarding job both emotionally and financially? Please give me any advice you can offer.
    thanks-

Re: Change of career

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums. This issue has been addressed here on this board and some of the other boards of this forum. If you surf around you will pick up some valuable info. I have several pieces of advice for you. In the long run don't burn your bridge with UPS. Part time jobs are a valuable resource. Second, go to the local community college with an RN nursing program and apply now. Waiting periods are huge. In the interim, set aside enough money to tide you over while you go to school.(see Douglas R.'s post in Student Nurse Lounge board,I need to vent.) That's all for now.

1. Before you jump into a nursing program (do apply now as you will have waiting lists to deal with), find out if nursing is really for you.

2. Most colleges have "shadowing" opportunities where you can follow a nurse around for a shift to see what their day is like.

3. Look for a part-time job as a nursing assistant or unit secretary. It will give you a bird's eye view of the nursing world.

4. Find out what other nurses are saying about the field. I've got a collection of articles written by nurse that do and do not, recommend the field here:

Nurses' Views of The Nursing Profession.
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

5. Consider going straight for an RN. You won't have to sacrifice as much financially and you'll only have to go through Nursing School once. Visit the LPN/RN section of our forum for a sample of the headaches LPNs have.
    http://nursinghumor.com/nurse_forum/.../0/Board/lpnrn

6. Most RN programs are 2-3 years for Associates Degree Programs, and four for a bachelors. Both start at roughly the same salary.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

look at allnursingschools.com, that is really helpful.