Thread: How much math is involved in obtaining a BSN?

Question How much math is involved in obtaining a BSN?

As embarrassing as this is, I fooled around a lot in high school and will be graduating with Agelbra as my top math level.

I'm not quite fond of math, other than that, everything else was above average. But exactly how much math will I need to obtain a BSN? What level of math will I need?

I appreciate anyone who could answer this for me. Maybe message me if you can, any experienced nurses or newly graduated nurses, I'd appreciate the 1 on 1 help.

Re: How much math is involved in obtaining a BSN?

Quote Originally Posted by A Nurse Unknown View Post
    As embarrassing as this is, I fooled around a lot in high school and will be graduating with Agelbra as my top math level.

I'm not quite fond of math, other than that, everything else was above average. But exactly how much math will I need to obtain a BSN? What level of math will I need?

I appreciate anyone who could answer this for me. Maybe message me if you can, any experienced nurses or newly graduated nurses, I'd appreciate the 1 on 1 help.
    From what I can tell, the ADN needs college algebra or equivalent and someone persuing a BSN needs a medical-oriented statistics class or equivalent. Stats has alot to do with proverbial black-bag scenarios and formulas so, if you can memorize a formula and use your imagination, you will do fine.

First, don't be embarrassed graduating with Algebra as your top math level. I have never liked mathmatics, especially in school setting.

Statistics & Chemistry courses are prereqs for BSN programs. Algebra will give you a good foundation for both Stats & Chem courses. Also, unique to the health care profession is what I'd call pharmacology dosage conversions. This dosage calculations you will learn while in both pharmacology class, as well as BSN program. Plus, many different types of low cost self-help books exist to learn dosage calc methods.

Be advised, the GRE exam is required for acceptance in to most MSN [Graduate] programs. The GRE requires somewhat a proficiency in Algebra & Geometry. However, w/o knowing the specific stats the majority of RNs are not MSN's.

Again, if your competent in algebra and willing to put out the effort to succeed you will be fine.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Most programs in the US require either Math 1130: College Algebra, or Math 1530 Elementary Probability and Statistics
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles