Hi there

As I am an RN of Australia of one year acute cardiac surgical unit. I am living in Canada and working as an Aide for Day Surgery. I have always been interested in Day Surgery and to work for one in this position has given me some hope. I have been informed by the nurses in Day Surgery, its best to get a few more years of acute care nursing experience before going into Day Surgery.

Then I thought, well I could possibly get that type of advice for any unit really? However I did understand their opinion. Until I was introduced to a Nurse Educator of Day Surgery and I gave her my background and advised her what other nurses have said.

She advised How else are you to get the experience when all you need to do is to work within it and it goes for any area really. I applauded her comment because its true. If I was say interested in CICU, and the nurse would probably tell me well you need experience.

So the nursing shortage is here for a while, so what is wrong with training up new nurses for areas that they are interested in?

Just would like to know your opinion about this?

Kind regards :33::star: