Thread: Need a solution

Need a solution

I worked on an oncology/med-surg floor from April '03 until December '03. I was having a thyroid problem, which I was unaware of. I was absolutely so ill and run down from the 12-hour shifts as well as the thyroid deficiency, I thought I was just burned out. I am not proud of this, but I was off 4 days in a row, and when came time to go back to work, I just couldn't do it...physically, emotionally, etc. exhausted and sick and I didn't work out a 2-week notice. Now I am better; I got the thyroid problem diagnosed and am taking meds. I have much more energy and had I been in my normal frame of mind, I would have NEVER quit without working out a notice. Does anyone have any advice on how I can explain this to new possible employers when they ask why my last job ended and why did I quit after only 9 months. I feel terrible about the situation, and I know 100% it will never happen again. I was a dependable employee; always early, never late, usually worked when called in or stayed over when needed, etc. Input please?

Re: Need a solution

Did you go back to your previous employer and ask for your job back? Rehire is an important question most employers check on. At least you'll know where you stand. It will also give you the opportunity to talk with the HR director and explain you situation. Maybe then they will give you a good recommendation.

I agree with oldschool. You had a medical condition, that is now documented. Perhaps going to your former employer with the truth and proper medical documentation - you may be able to negotiate returning to your position. With the nursing shortage and all, perhaps they would be forgiving and be grateful to have an experienced nurse return. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Thanks so much for the advice. I had not thought of this. I haven't checked with HR there, but I feel sure that without having given a notice, I may be ineligible for rehire. Great advice to go with medical records, and tell them the story. I feel the burden lightening already! Thank you so much.

Your welcome.

O_S